Search Engine General Question...

jshields44

Beta member
A basic question regarding search engines. I'm building a community site and want to implement a certain type of search.

So, you search google, you get a list of results, and you hope what you're searching for is somewhere in there. And then Wolfram comes along, an "answer" engine, and you search for something, and (assuming you're using their input protocol) you actually GET your answer.

Let's say I wanted to implement that within a website? Let's say it's a township site, and you search "Library close" - instead of getting 10 results for pages that are about the library, how can you deliver the actual result that's desired: "The library closes at 8:00 PM".

Another great example: you search (in google) "time in Seattle", and are delivered the precise answer - 8:04 am.

Just hoping to get some raw info about the technology that makes this work so I can continue researching in a more informed manner. Hope I'm asking this right... and thanks in advance!

I don't know a solution to your problem. It looks like you'd need a custom coded application for that as it involves complex logic and crawling capacities. I've never used a customized search engine as you described, but it's an interesting approach.

What are the technical specifications of your site?.
What language it is code in?, what CMS are you using?, What platform does it run on?

Google has widgets you can add to your site that allows you to search just your site or Google itself its good put on your site helps with your SEO.

You can use the Google's custom search, but the only real solution (I know of) id what kyletech said - a custom coded application. A buddy of mine did this for fun and made Facegoog, a custom search engine and it does wonders when browsing through Facebook. Ten times better than Facebooks recognizing system.

The standard widgets will give you that sucky Google custom search for your site, but this will make it top notch. However, you need to find someone to do it for you if you don't know how. Personally, it's a bit too complicated for me.

Back
Top Bottom