SD Card Issue XP SP3

TheDancingFetus

Baseband Member
I am currently having an issue with multiple users in our environment not being able to access SD Cards. All of our users are using Dell Laptops that have built in SD Card readers. When they put in a SD card the computer recognizes that a card has been inserted but nothing else happens.

If you go to Device Manager you will see SD Memory Card under the Disk Drives section with a yellow exclamation mark. Under SD Memory Card properties the hardware receives an, "unable to start Code 10 Error".

I've attempted to reinstall the drivers, but it looks like the SD Controller is using a sdbus.sys driver that is built into windows.

I had a similar issue that involved USB Mass Storage devices doing the same thing. I was able to fix that by deleting the INFCACHE.1 file in the Windows\inf directory and restart the computer. I wasn't so lucky with that working for this issue.

I'm currently at a loss, so any suggestions would help. All PC's are running the same Windows XP SP3 image. There are PC's with the exact same hardware/image and work fine. This is only affecting a few users.

Is it with certain SD cards, or do all SD cards not work? Have you tried a USB SD adapter? I have a feeling that the readers have failed, not too common, but definitely something Dell has seen before.

Are all the computers the same models? Can you list the models you have?

All SD cards won't work on the laptops having issues. Currently I have only seen the problem on the Dell E6400's. We have some E6410, but the card readers on that model doesn't use the sdbus.sys driver, and so far non having issues.

Back
Top Bottom