Says internet's connected, but its not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhornfreak94

Beta member
I have an actiontech router for my toshiba satellite laptop that i bought from my neighbor really cheap the other day. i put windows XP home on it and now when i connect to my wifi, it says full signal and excellent strength but when i open IE or any internet related thing, it cant connect and wont dispaly the page.

I am on a static IP address:

i have tried pinging my router, but the connection timed out all 4 times.

All help is appreciated

Ensure that you are connecting to the correct wifi signal (i know silly but just make sure).
Ensure you have the proper credentials typed in if you have WPA or WPA2 enabled.

WHat is confusing is if you are connected to the router you SHOULD be able to ping the router. Are you sure you are pinging the right IP? Type ipconfig/all and tell me what the default gateway is. Ping that, that should be your router.

My guess is you haven't correctly configured your router to communicate with the modem. If this is the case follow these steps:
Connect computer directly to modem
Go to command line
Type ipconfig/release
Type ipconfig/renew
Type inconfig/all
Write down the physical address of the modem (should be something like AE-01-DE blah blah)
Connect computer to router WAN port
Log onto router (type ip of router in IE and sign into router)
Go to connection then MAC address
Enable the MAC address and type in the MAC address we just wrote down
Connect the computer to a normal port on the router
COnnect the router to the modem
If it doesn't work now, do a power cycle, turn all devices off and turn on modem first, then router, then computer (leaving about 30 seconds between each for a full power on)

Lex makes a lot of good points, but it seems to me that it's likely an IP issue. Depending on what your internet connection is normally (Static, DHCP, PPPoE) I would recommend logging into the router and changing it to DHCP and see if it will connect that way.

A lot of times you'll run into that if the IP settings programmed into the NIC are different than what the modem/router is. Speaking of, also check to see if the NIC is set to automatically obtain the DNS servers, if it is... try manually programming the DNS servers

In addition.

What is the ip of your router?
If you want to use a static ip as you are it helps to add a default gateway as well. If not switch the computer to obtain ip automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom