Router and Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayern20

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I've got a bit of a problem and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I am running Windows XP Home. My brother is running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition. We are trying to share a internet connection using a wireless D-Link router. My brother's computer has the router and dsl modem and I have the wireless network card. So far we have been able to set up the network so computers can share files however no internet connection is present. Actually, thats not exactly right..under network connections, and then "internet gateway" it says that the internet is connected, but it does not work. We think that the problem is in the router configuration but we're not sure exactly how to set up everything. We need basically step by step instructions as we don't know a lot about this. Thanks!

If you could provide a little more information about your/his router, (Make and Model number), your laptop, configuration of the router, ect..., it would be helpful.

Also, do you not have internet on both or just one of the computers?

It's a D-Link (DI-524). Both are PC's running Windows XP.

When we tried to configure the router, it had to be done under PPPoE, and the router itself has that option, unfortunatley, it still does not connect to the internet. After setting everything up, router displays information under WAN as 0.0.0.0 for all ( IP, subnetmask and default gateway.) Is it possible the built in firewall is blocking traffic?

Thanks

Unlikely, I would unplug the power of the DSL modem for a couple of second while the router is plug to it, then plug the power back for the modem. While the light is flashing before it get's stable and say it's online try a release and renew in the router configuration, it should be in the DHCP section I believe.

Other then that, I would think the ISP has the previous computer's MAC address recorded, which ever computer that was connected to the modem last and had Internet access, you'll have to find the MAC address of that computer and go into the router's MAC cloning feature and enter that MAC address so that it tricks the ISP.

check to make sure ur firewall is set to allow ur online programs such as browser or im progs to run

What version is that D-Link router that you have? IF you do not know what i am asking, look here:

Linksys DI-534

Also, what is the Make and Model of your MODEM. (Version numbers or letters wold be helpful.

Do you have DSL or cable?
If its dsl You need to enter your username and password into the PPPoe (dynamaic) settings. This isn't typically your email and p/w it is your connection username and password. After you enter the correct user name and password restart the modem and router (unplug them) If that doesn't work call your ISP because you might have to enter a static IP address in the Static pppoe settings.

Thanks for all the help guys..got it going. The D-link support site has some great step by step for exactly the problem I had. I had done that stuff but its all very specific. I basically had to do with you said FlashDude, but its all very specific.

Thanks everyone.

router connection problem with Belkin

Hey guys! I also am experiencing similar problem with my Belkin router. I am using windows xp home edition and my IP configuration changed from 192. to 169...... something and as a result, it says limited or no connectivity. Could someone pls advice me on how to fix this problem? Now I can't even use my internet and I tried to unplug the cable's main power and waited for a while b4 replugging it back but to no avail!

I think it is the configuration yes? Also, I don't have any firewall running, so that can't be the problem. I am really in need of some assistance! Thanks!!!

p.s. Just thought I add another problem with USB..... I bought this cool Archos Gmini 402 player and it was working b4 when I attached the USB to the PC but just lately, I bought a Nvidia Gforce card and now it won't assign a drive letter at all! I went to My Computer>Right click to manage> Disk management. It says everything is connected but just could not assign drive letter! Thanks!!!

Re: router connection problem with Belkin

piano0011 said:
Hey guys! I also am experiencing similar problem with my Belkin router. I am using windows xp home edition and my IP configuration changed from 192. to 169...... something and as a result, it says limited or no connectivity. Could someone pls advice me on how to fix this problem? Now I can't even use my internet and I tried to unplug the cable's main power and waited for a while b4 replugging it back but to no avail!

I think it is the configuration yes? Also, I don't have any firewall running, so that can't be the problem. I am really in need of some assistance! Thanks!!!

p.s. Just thought I add another problem with USB..... I bought this cool Archos Gmini 402 player and it was working b4 when I attached the USB to the PC but just lately, I bought a Nvidia Gforce card and now it won't assign a drive letter at all! I went to My Computer>Right click to manage> Disk management. It says everything is connected but just could not assign drive letter! Thanks!!!

Sounds like you don't have DHCP enabled. 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the default IP address when no DHCP server can be located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom