Re-formating the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo9878

Beta member
Hi folks,

I have discovered recently that my computer is infected and after researching the topic I have found that the best way to make sure a computer is 100 percent clean is to do a low level re-formating
to make the machine like new from the factory.

I have the recovery discs and I also have a legit copy of windows XP
Thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 for better security.

Should I have a professional do it or can I find an easy program
to help me save money. The computer shop would charge me like 200
so I am wondering what you would do in this case.

Instead of trying to clean out the viruses one by one, id rather just
delete every bit of data in one swoop and start fresh

Any tips on how to go about this?

Install, reinstall, or uninstall Windows - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Always good to have the most current drivers for your computer or motherboard downloaded and on a cd or usb hard drive prior to the clean install.

If it is a prebuilt go to the companies website, browse your model and get the drivers. The two most import to have are chipset and lan. With these you can get online and dl the rest if you wish.

Make sure you have backups of all your important data. You will need to reinstall any programs like office that you use.

1) Install Windows using the clean install methods ensuring you re format the drive.
2) Install chipset drivers
3) Install lan drivers
4) go online and update windows
5) install graphics driver
6) install the rest of your drivers ie sound in no particular order.

You can either use the Windows disc to format or use a program like gparted live. You will have to burn it to a cd and boot from it.

GParted -- Download

I have been told by several people that using the Windows method to format is not very good.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

I would not suggest a low level format. That could actually destroy your hard drive. If you are that worried check in the Read First thread for the Recommended Software for Certain Tasks and get either KillDisk or DBan. Those are more than sufficient. Doing a low level format like the factories do can actually cause you more damage to your hard drive. It could even kill it if not done right.

Other than that Hefe gave all the important info. I would also check the Win7 FAQ thread that we have. Yes i know it is long, but it answers a lot of questions you might have about compatibility issues with software you run and so on.

I just completely reformatted a computer and dual booted it with linux. Make sure you install you Internet driver first so you can download the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom