PS2 on 32 inch monitor with component cables

CJxShoTz

Baseband Member
Will the picture quality for a playstation 2 on a 32 inch lcd connected with component cables be good? I would like to have the graphics be as good as possible, and be better than just average.

What factors should I know, and what can I do to get the best image quality out of my ps2? I heard something about refresh rate aswell, thanks for any help.

It won't matter which standard you're using because the PS2 outputs the same resolution for both. Your experience isn't going to be that great because you're stretching an image quite a bit compared to the old days on the tube TVs.

In other words, your PS2 experience will be the same and only as good as you make it. Enjoy playing the console on a bigger TV. Before I went emulator I used a 13" CRT lol.

It will look better on a smallish LCD TV compared to a CRT though.

Know this from experience when friends and I usually have a yearly Socom LAN party.

That's true, but we're talking 32" LCD here, probably 1080p native. Idk anybody who really had much bigger than a 27" CRT TV. I know they made them, but afterwards it was usually rear projection, which looked worse IMO.

If I hooked a PS2 up to my projector it would look ****, honestly. But hey, I know people who don't mind watching movies in SD still so it's whatever.

That's true, but we're talking 32" LCD here, probably 1080p native. Idk anybody who really had much bigger than a 27" CRT TV. I know they made them, but afterwards it was usually rear projection, which looked worse IMO.

If I hooked a PS2 up to my projector it would look ****, honestly. But hey, I know people who don't mind watching movies in SD still so it's whatever.

We had people hooking up to around 32" TVs and as long as the either adjusted the aspect ratio, changed the screen zoom level, or changed an in-game setting to accommodate the LCD, it looked decent. Could at least see where you were shooting lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

It won't matter which standard you're using because the PS2 outputs the same resolution for both. Your experience isn't going to be that great because you're stretching an image quite a bit compared to the old days on the tube TVs.

In other words, your PS2 experience will be the same and only as good as you make it. Enjoy playing the console on a bigger TV. Before I went emulator I used a 13" CRT lol.

From what I've read PS2 can only output max 480i with composite, with component it can output 480p.

Most PS2 games use a resolution of 640x448 but some games use different resolutions and some even change resolutions for different scenes. I'm sending you a PM with some info how to get a high-res (like 1080p) PS2 going on.

Edit: the other resolution I've been able to find is 512x416

Last edited:
From what I've read PS2 can only output max 480i with composite, with component it can output 480p.
Those are the same resolution, with the only difference being interlaced vs progressive. On an old console, that's not much of a difference unless you were talking the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

I believe the 512 resolution is for PAL copies.

Back
Top Bottom