Problem with my mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

epundt

Beta member
I have an IMAC w/OS 9.2 op. sys., and my mouse is a Logitech Optical. 3 weeks ago I unplugged my Mac from all elec. and phone connections because of severe t-storms. It stayed off for about 3 days. When I plugged it back in and started it up, the mouse wouldn't respond. I turned off the comp. using the button, turned it back on and the mouse worked. Since then, if I shut down the right way, the mouse won't work. Shut down with the button and the mouse works. That's because it goes thru the system check for problems. I've been leaving the comp. on because of this problem. Can someone give me a hint what might be wrong? I'm not comp. literate so if you can give it to me in first grade terms, I will really be thankful.
Eileene

hmmm, have you tried resintalling the mouse software?

Also the mouse cord may be coming loose, which can cause periodic lack of functioning (like if the wire is loose, it can conduct signal sometimes, but others not).

I suggest trying to reinstall the mouse software first. if that doesnt work you may be stuck with buying a new mouse. But luckily they are not expensive at all (you can get usb mice for 5-10$, and optical for like 20$).

If you need help with it, private message me and Ill walk you through resinatlling the mouse software.

Ok, I downloaded the driver for the mouse. Loaded it. Mouse still wont work when I use the "shut down" method. It will work if I shut down with the off button. Any other ideas?
Eileene

epundt said:
Ok, I downloaded the driver for the mouse. Loaded it. Mouse still wont work when I use the "shut down" method. It will work if I shut down with the off button. Any other ideas?
Eileene

One more: Do you perhaps have a spare mouse (you can borrow one from a friend) to test and see if its your mouse or possibly the port its routed through? If the test mouse works normally but doesnt work in the same port, the port is faulty or something else is wrong with the system. If the test mouse works in the same port then your mouse is broken and needs replacement.

Thanks g5orbust, that was it. I borrowed my daughters mouse and it works. I was having a problem with my mouse working but only when I shut my MAC off with the off button and the mouse would work. It would work as long as I didn't shut down using the shut down format. When I used her mouse, it worked fine, then I could unplug her mouse and plug mine in and it works. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks a bunch.
Eileene

epundt said:
Thanks g5orbust, that was it. I borrowed my daughters mouse and it works. I was having a problem with my mouse working but only when I shut my MAC off with the off button and the mouse would work. It would work as long as I didn't shut down using the shut down format. When I used her mouse, it worked fine, then I could unplug her mouse and plug mine in and it works. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks a bunch.
Eileene

Ah Im glad we got it working! Case closed, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom