Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattlegrid_79

Solid State Member
Hi all

I have set up port forwarding for when I am hard-wired into my router. However, when wireless, my PC automatically uses a different IP address, therefore bypassing the port forwarding.

I can't set up a second virtual server for the same port as it conflicts.

I am apprehensive to set up static IP as i've heard it causes no end of issues.

Anybody have any suggestion so I can use the same port via more than one IP address?

Cheers

Sam

I do not know of such a way, TBH I don't think it will be possible. The whole point of port forwarding is that the router knows where to forward to, I don't think it would know what to do if you say "forward it here or maybe forward it here".
You should use a static address (it causes no problems if you get it right) although if you want both your adaptors to have the same address, you will need to have one disabled while you are working with the other.

You could always just choose another part to open instead of using the same one, but I guess I can understand why you wouldn't want to. That would be my suggestion though.

usually routers allow you to assign an ip to a particular mac address.

look for the settings where you set the ip range for dhcp. look for a table with ip and mac headings

what make model router?

I tried that with my router because I had the same idea. It would not allow me to give the same ip to two different mac addresses. D-Link GamerLounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom