ping and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
What is a good ping for gaming
What determines your ping? and how can i reduce my ping duration time?

Your ping is the number of milliseconds it takes for your machine to send a signal to the server, and receive a resulting answer. The ping time is determined by the speed of your connection, and that of the server. So you, (or the server), need to get a better connection if you want a lower ping.

As far as ping times go, the lower the better, 20 to 40 is good, but anything less than 75 is ok. Higher than 100, and you will start getting packet loss, (data loss), and begin to cause lag for other players.

is that pinging the game server or my isp.

when i start playing enemy territory i come up with servers hich have a ping of 10- 500, does that mean i should go for ping values of 10.

if i were to use a different ISP, would i get different values for pinging different servers?

rookie1010 said:

The game server.

when i start playing enemy territory i come up with servers hich have a ping of 10- 500, does that mean i should go for ping values of 10.

Yes. Lower ping is better.

if i were to use a different ISP, would i get different values for pinging different servers?

Marginally if it were the same type of connection. If you went from one dial-up connection to another... there would be little to no change. But going to cable would make a large change.

It only makes sense if you think about it... the better your connection is, the lower pings youll get.

rookie1010 said:
That is pinging the game server

rookie1010 said:
When i start playing enemy territory i come up with servers hich have a ping of 10- 500, does that mean i should go for ping values of 10.
Yes, the lower the better.

rookie1010 said:
If i were to use a different ISP, would i get different values for pinging different servers?
Good question, if your current ISP is rubbish, then yes, if your current ISP is good, then no.

You say you are getting pings from 10; it ainÂ’t going to get much better without a local area network. Go with them for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom