Pain in the rear Computer/Internet...what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
Not sure how to describe the problem without a blaten example, so:

You visit www.google.com (or virtually any website), surf 'n turf...learn about farming, then go look up some quantum theories...all is perfect!

Let the page sit idle for a few minutes, (per-say while you write something down, go to a different window), and BAM! It will no longer load anything on www.google.com. No searches, no refreshes, nothing. It will just display the lovely 'Page cannot be found'.

So, now what ever do I do without Google?! I was brilliant! www.google.ca! Perfect. Ok, so I do the same thing with it...then it dies. Then I move to www.google.de, etc. You get the picture!

Point being, this happens with any website--it just so happens that Google is the one I use so frequent...so I notice it very often! The only way to restore access to these sites is just to...wait. Wait a few minutes, use a different computer on the same network, reset the LAN connection, and occasionally opening a CMD window and flushing the DNS cache--but I believe this is just a coincidence (timing), since it rarely works.

But the really odd thing (to me)...open the CMD window, and ping these sites that cannot be found...instant responses!

And if you read to this point...well...you're special. :p

Any insight you might have on this tedious problem... suggestions as to what might be causing it (hardware, software), etc.! I'm using the PC in my signature when it's showing the specs--WinXP.

Thanks...
--Xula

PS: Yes, I attempted to add a small amount of humor. A lousy attempt indeed.

Abdula, We need to trace the root of the problem. Just curious when it locks up and you ping the websites are you pinging them by there name? i.e. www.google.com or are you pinging the IP address? Just trying to figure out if its DNS related. Also what we need to know is what your network setup is? Is this a broadband connection connected directly to a PC or through a router..dial up..etc...

Ah, how easy I forget. I'm running on Qwest DSL, which is a combination wireless gateway / modem in one. I'm connected to it via the Ethernet. No router involved.

When pinging--I do this: google.com
Pinging google.com [72.14.207.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=241
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=241
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=134ms TTL=241
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 132ms, Maximum = 135ms, Average = 133ms

And at the same time, I can use my laptop on wireless...and connect to google.com (or any other "down" sites) at that time. So confusing.

Thanks for the reply and any future help...:)

--Xula

Xula said:
Ah, how easy I forget. I'm running on Qwest DSL, which is a combination wireless gateway / modem in one. I'm connected to it via the Ethernet. No router involved.

When pinging--I do this: google.com

And at the same time, I can use my laptop on wireless...and connect to google.com (or any other "down" sites) at that time. So confusing.

Thanks for the reply and any future help...:)

--Xula

Qwest use modem routers

my m8 got qwest and they use modem routers

so u do have a router involved

FORMAT your pc ..easiest way

Amd2800 said:
Qwest use modem routers

my m8 got qwest and they use modem routers

so u do have a router involved

FORMAT your pc ..easiest way

Well, yes. By 'no router involved'--I was trying to imply I do not have anything additional, such as a regular router or hub. And just because mine is integrated does not mean all Qwest's are--in fact you can go to their website and get a list of them, this is really the only one.

Formatting the PC is a last resort for something so seemingly simple; so "thanks but no thanks" for that suggestion. I really don't like that solution--many people seem to jump to that recommendation--for any type of bug on the computer. If it's not known to the poster->format! Re-format! Gogo! Bah. Too much work for what is probably a easy fix...;)

Anyways, anyone with any thoughts/ideas as what the actual problem is...please let me know. It'll be greatly appreciated...:)

Thanks,
--Xula

--and Good night, it's sleep-time!

Ok looks like its computer specific then not really to do with the network equipment. What current web browser are you using? What I would do is try another web browser and see if the problem is still there with that browser. It could also be some type of spyware/malware..be sure you scan for said objects and viri.

Now days the term gateway/router are pretty much universal. This wasnt so back in the old people days, but now the term is used very loosely.

It's the same on any browser--I use both Firefox and Internet Explorer--the same thing occurs with each.

I think I just need to get my Linux up and running...it's installed, I just need to...get...away...from Windows. Just so much to learn, but I bet that'd be a good test and/or solution!

Thanks, Win2kpatcher.

Amd2800 said:
Just because the only thing you know how to do and/or suggest is a re-format... I feel sorry for you.

id say Windows is better .....Xula ...i suggest you try another router or get a New ISP it could be a dns server problem

Problem solved. It's something with Windows and the DNS resolution...as it works just dandy under Debian. However, the neat little fix I came upon is simple, from the website:
http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html

When you visit a website, Windows XP tries to speed things up by placing the DNS information about that site, into a DNS cache on your PC.

This is OK until there are problems with the network, DNS server or even the website!

You see the DNS Windows XP cache stores BOTH negative and positive entries. The positive entries are those that the DNS lookup was successful and you could connect to the website.

Negative entries are those where the DNS lookup failed and you could not connect to the website.

A problem can arise here because if the DNS cache hold a negative entry and the website you want to view is now OK to view, Windows XP will still give you a DNS error!

By default these negative entries are cached for 5 mins. But we can tweak the registry to NOT store negative entries at all!

Block Negative Entries
To force Windows XP NOT to cache negative entries we need to add a new DWORD to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

DWORD: MaxNegativeCacheTtl

Value: 0

This will now ensure NO negative entries are stored.

Works perfect now...:D

Google!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom