Outlook with GMail - How do I 'archive'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Trying out Outlook. I bought it with MS Office Pro Plus, may as well try it out at least :)
I've got it all set up, however I don't quite see how to archive my mail like I do in the GMail web app. Tried looking for guides but I don't quite have all the terminology down yet.

There is no way to archive your GMail from within Outlook. You have to set up GMail from the web interface to Archive the mail after it has downloaded. Outlook just downloads the mail to your machine locally and doesnt interact with the web interface at all. Other than to download the mail.

Stuff I delete from the inbox in Outlook is deleted from the GMail inbox. And when I move stuff into folders in Outlook, that's reflected in the web interface too.

Correct, so you setup GMAIL using IMAP? If so when you go to Tools>Options>Other do you have an autoarchive option? You might not, with IMAP accounts it's just a mirror image of your online inbox, so some features may not work like auto archive, out of office, ect. I have gmail setup on our home PC using Outlook 2010 so i can check tonight when i get home.

Also you could look into attaching a PST to your mailbox, then just manually moving things from your mail account into the PST (same as archiving except you can't choose a date range).

Correct, so you setup GMAIL using IMAP?
I've really no idea. When I started Outlook, it asked me to set up my email and all it needed was the email address and password. It did everything else itself. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

If so when you go to Tools>Options>Other do you have an autoarchive option?
On Office 2010 so it's not structured like that. Looked in Options, couldn't see it in Other.

Tbh though, I don't really find it that useful :p I definitely prefer the calender to GCalender, but as an email manager it doesn't seem to offer much more to a fairly basic user like myself. Still, thanks for the help tho.

I think Yami would have figured that out, Soul. ;) But, you never know. :lol:

I've done things very similar to that in Office 08. Sounds correct.

If you setup via IMAP, which it sounds like you did, then yes the things you would do would be mirrored. But Outlook doesnt have an archive option. So there is no way to be able to "Archive" something from within Outlook and have it be reflected. Sadly the solution SOUL provided will not work. As it states, which is exactly what I stated in my first post,

Using AutoArchive allows you to manage space in your mailbox or on the email server by moving older items to another location on your hard drive.

So if you using IMAP you can have your changes be reflected. I dont use IMAP, I uses POP. So nothing I do is shown. But again I state, Outlook doesnt have an Archive setting that syncs up with Google.

Ya KSOD you are right, didn't even think about the purpose of archive. You probably setup the account with IMAP which means it just mirrors what you have online, instead of POP which downloads the information off the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom