Onboard NIC not combatable with my new ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
Built a new computer a while back with the old ISP no issues.

Got a new ISP and now it drops nearly every hour and this seems to be common with my onboard Realtek 8111 and some ISP. Internet stability - drop outs (not isp) - TweakTown Forums

I've updated driver to the newest version 6.230. Vista/Windows update wants me to use 6.0 but that kills the connection were nothing works and I'm forced to rollback driver.

I can't find a fix for this do I need to buy a new NIC? If so know one that should work?

Ya it's not them.

I've tested with my old computer no issues.

I've tested with new computer clean install of vista and updated drivers and it has the issue.

NIC's are made to standards. They all would have to comply with ISO or IEEE standards I am sure. Seems like your NIC just has issues with the OS. I would try to find a generic driver that works instead of the brand specific ones. I had to do this with my wireless NIC for Vista.

EDIT: Reading that forum you linked, that guy is running the same OS you are. Vista Home 64 bit. I might just be grasping at straws here, but my thought truly is that your OS has the problem.

EDIT: Reading that forum you linked, that guy is running the same OS you are. Vista Home 64 bit. I might just be grasping at straws here, but my thought truly is that your OS has the problem.

I had vista with old ISP never had any issues so I don't think that's it.

Can you suggest a generic driver?

Was searching for the drivers for the "Realtek 8111" as he stated above. Closes I came to was Realtek.

Hope that helps.

I think all the 8111's use the same driver?
Realtek

I had vista with old ISP never had any issues so I don't think that's it.

Can you suggest a generic driver?

I think all the 8111's use the same driver?
Realtek
Well yeah I guess. Also by he specifying a generic driver, I think he meant a driver from the manufacture's website (eg. Realtek in this case) and not the brand who built your pc (eg. dell, hp, etc.). Then again I can be wrong since I'm not versed in any of these things.

Yeah, go with the chipset number of your nic, not your manufacturer's driver.

Look up your chipset number with Everest or PCWizard.

I had that happen with my wireless card. It worked great with a generic Realtek driver.

I've never used a manufacturer's (dell/hp/ect) driver. They have always been Realtek drivers I built this computer myself.

I just updated my motherboard Bio's it was a few version behind going give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom