On your birthday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
I'm sort of intrested in learning about two things, history and about other TF members. What you are supposed to do is take your birthday (doesn't have to be your birthdate i.e. year/age, if you don't want to) and look up events, births/deaths, etc. on either the day you are born or the day of the month you were born.

I find wikipedia to be a decent source (doesn't have everything)

I'll start off first, born on July 16, 1990:

1945 - United State's Trinity bomb first nuclear explosion in the world (my favorite!)
1969 - The US Apollo 11 program launchs man's first trip to the moon
1979 - Saddam Hussein becomes President of Iraq
1990 - An earthquake measuring 7.7 kill's 1,600 people in the Phillipines

Intresting to know on the day I was born a massive earthquake accured killing lots of people. A testament to my almost god like power? Perhaps...

Also Will Ferrell was born on July 16, funny man I must say.

April 29

1945 - World War II: The German Army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.

1974 - Watergate Scandal: President Richard Nixon announces the release of edited transcripts of White House tape recordings related to the scandal.

1992 - 1992 Los Angeles riots: Riots in Los Angeles, California, follow the acquittal of police officers charged with excessive force in the beating of Rodney King. Over the next three days 54 people are killed and hundreds of buildings are destroyed.

1937 - Saddam Hussein, Iraqi leader ^to the above poster^

June 30th
I apparently share a birth day with...
1963 - Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Swedish guitarist
1966 - Mike Tyson, American boxer
1979 - Matisyahu, Hasidic Jewish Reggae Rapper

# 1967 - Vietnam War: More than 100,000 war protesters gather in Washington, DC. A peaceful rally at the Lincoln Memorial is followed by a march to The Pentagon and clashes with soldiers and United States Marshals protecting the facility (event lasts until October 23; 683 people were arrested). Similar demonstrations occurred simultaneously in Japan and Western Europe.
# 1969 - A coup d'état in Somalia brings Siad Barre to power.
# 1973 - John Paul Getty III's ear is cut off by his kidnappers and sent to a newspaper in Rome; it doesn't arrive until November 8.
# 1976 - Keith Moon plays his last public show with The Who. He will die in 1978.
# 1977 - The European Patent Institute is founded
# 1977 - Meat Loaf's hit album Bat Out of **** is released under Epic's Cleveland International Records
# 1978 - Australian civilian pilot Frederick Valentich vanishes in a Cessna 182 over the Bass Strait south of Melbourne, after reporting contact with an unidentified aircraft.
# 1983 - The metre is defined at the seventeenth General Conference on Weights and Measures in terms of the speed of light as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
# 1986 - In Lebanon, pro-Iranian kidnappers claim to have abducted American writer Edward Tracy (he was released in August 1991).
# 1987 - Former Miss America Bess Myerson is arrested on charges of bribery, conspiracy, and mail fraud, all involving an alimony-fixing scandal. She is later found not guilty.
# 1994 - North Korea nuclear weapons program: North Korea and the United States sign an agreement that requires North Korea to stop its nuclear weapons program and agree to inspections.

October 21'st.

Witch was like 3 days ago.

No birthday thread :(

October 26
1995 - Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Mossad agents assassinate Islamic Jihad leader Fathi Shikaki in his hotel in Malta.

# 2001 - The United States passes the controversial USA PATRIOT Act into law.

2002 - Moscow Theater Siege ends: Approximately 50 Chechen rebels and 150 hostages die when Russian Spetsnaz storm the House of Culture theater in Moscow, which had been occupied by the rebels three days before.

March 22

* 238 - Gordian I and his son Gordian II are proclaimed Roman emperors.
* 1621 - The Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony sign a peace treaty with Massasoit of the Wampanoags.
* 1622 - Jamestown massacre: Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia, a third of the colony's population.
* 1630 - Massachusetts Bay Colony outlaws the possession of cards, dice, and gaming tables.
* 1638 - Anne Hutchinson is expelled from Massachusetts Bay Colony for religious dissent.
* 1765 - The Parliament of Great Britain passed the Stamp Act, which introduced a tax to be levied directly on its American colonies.
* 1888 - The Football League is formed.
* 1894 - The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts.
* 1933 - President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signs into law a bill legalizing the sale of beer and wine.
* 1939 - World War II: Germany takes Memel from Lithuania.
* 1942 - World War II: In the Mediterranean Sea, Regia Marina defeats Royal Navy in the Second Battle of Sirte.
* 1943 - World War II: the entire population of Khatyn in Belarus is burnt alive by German occupation forces.
* 1960 - Arthur Leonard Schawlow & Charles Townes receive the first patent for a laser.
* 1963 - Please Please Me, the first Beatles album, is released in the UK.
* 1965 - Bob Dylan "goes electric," releasing his first album featuring electric instruments, Bringing It All Back Home.
* 1984 - Teachers at the McMartin preschool in Manhattan Beach, California are charged with Satanic ritual abuse of the children in the school. The charges are later dropped as completely unfounded.
* 1993 - The Intel Corporation ships the first Pentium chips (80586), featuring a 60 MHz clock speed, 100+ MIPS, and a 64 bit data path.

1931 - William Shatner

December 24:

- 1800 - Assassination attempt on Napoleon Bonaparte's life.

- 1941 - Hong Kong falls to the Japanese Imperial Army.

- 1968 - The crew of Apollo 8 enter into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so.

- 2003 - The Spanish police thwarts an attempt by ETA to detonate 50 kg of explosives at 3:55 p.m. inside Madrid's busy Chamartín Station.

Oh and I share the exact bday with Michael Jordan's sone (December 24th 1990)

JUNE 17

1462 - Vlad III Dracula attempts to assassinate Mehmed II in the Night Attack, and the latter is forced to retreat from Wallachia.

April 22, 1989

1509 - Henry VIII ascends the throne of England after the death of his father.
(Maybe this means something for my future ;))

1876 - The National League of Baseball plays its first game, establishing the template for the modern game.
Yay

1970 - First Earth Day celebrated.
**** hippies

1978 - One Love Peace Concert held at National Heroes Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica. Bob Marley united the two opposing political leaders at this concert bringing peace to the civil war ridden streets of Kingston, Jamaica.
Boo Violence, Hooray Beer.

Born:
1724 - Immanuel Kant, Sapere aude!
1870 - Vladimir Lenin, Hail Comrade!
1904 - Robert Oppenheimer, 3......2......1......BOOM
1937 - Jack Nicholson Here's Johnny!

xenium said:
December 24:

Oh and I share the exact bday with Michael Jordan's sone (December 24th 1990)

Christmas Eve huh? Nice, short and sweet. I wonder do you get more gifts at christmas with your birthday than having the two spread out. Well I like mine, right in the middle of year so I get gifts every 5 or 7 months.

Also to the rest, try to refrain from posting a huge list and just post some highlights. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom