Oled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erstad

Banned
One new technology that I'm really excited about is OLED (Organic Light Emitting Device). It's basically thin flixible plastic that can display moving images. Click on the link and check out the sample video. Very cool!

OLED

If i'm right ..i think the pioneer car audio system's sport Oled displays ... They look really cool !!

preet2u said:
If i'm right ..i think the pioneer car audio system's sport Oled displays ... They look really cool !!

Yes and I believe some of the Kodak digital cameras use them as well.

Hello,

What are these OLED things used for? Has anyone seem or used them?

It seems expensive and not worth the money to have them.
Unless I'm messing something here :)

Why would a company put these things on a consumer product?

Larry said:
Hello,

What are these OLED things used for? Has anyone seem or used them?

It seems expensive and not worth the money to have them.
Unless I'm messing something here :)

Why would a company put these things on a consumer product?

I believe the materials are relatively inexpensive and disposable.

One application for this new product would be for advertising (of course) purposes.

Imagine going to a car dealership and walking up to the car and instead of seeing the plain 'ol typical sticker you would see one of the OLED's with an advertisement for the car that you are looking at. Maybe a video of someone demonstrating all the features of that car.

How cool would it be to get a birthday card with a video of your family or loved one on it instead of just the typical crappy poetry.

Instead of paper instructions showing you how to hook up your new wireless router it will come with an OLED with video instructions. How much easier would that be!?

I think the possiblities are endless...

VGA OLED PDAs are coming! :D

Anyhow, a good read is the scientific american article on them. I suscribe to that magazine, but I believe it is on their website.

As for uses...as Erstad said, endless.

You could view photographs on watches, you could carry around a roll-up display, those digital picture frames can definitely use them because of the superior image quality potention, their significantly superior energy efficiency (to LCDs, which themselves are more effecient then CRTs) can be used to help save notebook battery life. In answer to your cost question Larry, they use organic material and are actually more cost effective (both in manufacturing and power consumption).

This is seriously something to be excited about. I can easily see them replacing LCDs in the next few decades. I have to learn more though...there has to be some disadvantage to this...some drawback...I do admit it sounds to good to be true. But anyhow, read the Scientific American article I linked to above...that's a good start to understanding the technology.

OLED's are all over the place. Look at a Timex Indiglo watch, that's a OLED.

Sorry, but I'm in college for an engineering degree, and a friend did a research project on OLED's. He was showing us a video that he found on the internet of a display. A guy was holding it in his hands, twisting it back and forth, and I think it was playing Dave Mirra's doing bike tricks.

You're going to start seeing them in more and more applications, because they're cheaper to make then conventional LED's, but they still have some drawbacks. My friend didn't go into them too much, though, so I don't remember what they are.

qiranworms said:
a good read is the scientific american article on them. I suscribe to that magazine, but I believe it is on their website.
I read that article a while ago too. :) Another thing I heard that they're going to be used for is electronic newspapers and books and stuff like that. Should be exciting, if it's not too expensive.

Emily said:
Should be exciting, if it's not too expensive.

That's the great thing about it...IT ISN'T! Or at least, it isn't supposed to be. Manufacturing of this, according to Scientific American, would actually be easier then manufacturing LCDs. :money:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom