Offshore Internet access

LSUtigers

Beta member
Hey everyone! I work in the Gulf of Mexico in the middle of the ocean on a platform 2 weeks out the month. My problem is I want to know if it is possible for me to get internet access out here. The platform has company controlled internet and I have no idea how it works and I don't want to use their system. I know the main computers are hardwired and they have routers for phones and laptops to connect to. Until last month we had access to it all day but now they restricted it to 4pm-12 with all social media and youtube blocked. I was wondering are there any companies that provide internet access through satellites? Maybe a router or something I can catch signal to and use it like a hotspot or something? My cellphone has a signal, ATT with 3 bars, but I'm roaming so it cost a ton to text and call. Any information is much appreciated.

P.s- Sorry about all the grammatical errors.

Not sure if any satellite providers would do a setup for you, since it's on a company-owned area. I doubt the company you work for would allow it either.

^ Like Joe said, mobile hotspot would be your best bet...but can be expensive. Usually they're data capped or expensive for low amounts of data. You'll need to find out which cell services work out there firstly.

Yeah I am going to talk to ATT and see if what they can do. But I know some of these boats out here have wi-fi on them. I dont understand how my company has pretty decent internet out here on every platform. I know its going to be pretty expensive which will suck but it is what it is. I was just wondering if they came out with something that I could just plug into the wall and catch satellite service to get on. Theres only a few people on platform and they also want something so we can always split cost.

Thanks for the replies.

can you get any cellular service out there now on your cell phone? If you can, then I'm sure you can use a mobile internet service, but if you can't...then your SOL

If you are working on off shore company own drill platform, then the only internet you are going to get is either thru the company system which is usually satellite based, or if you can get ANY phone signal, that is what you are going to get.

The only other way is to install another Satellite system for your use, it is expense to set up and average $80 a month and I do not think the company will allow that to happen just because you wish to use youtube and social media.

I am sure the company still allows for basic email and limiting the hours of use is not a bad thing when you are there to work and keep things safe

If you are working on off shore company own drill platform, then the only internet you are going to get is either thru the company system which is usually satellite based, or if you can get ANY phone signal, that is what you are going to get.

Yeah thats what I expected. Im going to talk to ATT and see what they can do.

I am sure the company still allows for basic email and limiting the hours of use is not a bad thing when you are there to work and keep things safe

But this.... Please before you put your opinion in on something apparently you know little about don't try and lecture. But just to clarify, they're night shifts also and we wake up 3-4 hours before the internet comes online but by then we are working. We LIVE out there for 2 weeks. It is hard to only have communication with only the FEW people you work with in those two weeks. We have phone lines but calling isn't always an option. I am asking for technical support not something on work ethic.

But this.... Please before you put your opinion in on something apparently you know little about don't try and lecture. But just to clarify, they're night shifts also and we wake up 3-4 hours before the internet comes online but by then we are working. We LIVE out there for 2 weeks. It is hard to only have communication with only the FEW people you work with in those two weeks. We have phone lines but calling isn't always an option. I am asking for technical support not something on work ethic.

LOL, well put :cool:

Back
Top Bottom