Office 07 32 bit - Windows 7 64 bit - Excel isn't happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Windows 7 64 bit.
Office 2007 32 bit.

Word - fine.
Powerpoint - fine.
Excel - "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I've ran 32 bit Office before on 64 bit Windows. Didn't have any issues. In fact, a quick Google of the issue revealed MSDN forums recommending this practice as it's more compatible than isolating yourself with a 64 bit specific version of Office.

So it seems that I'm playing by the rules, however, someone isn't happy here. What can I do?

Try repairing your copy of Office. Could try opening the file and saving it as an entire new file from another PC.

Opening the file? I'm not opening any file at the moment. This is just trying to launch Excel itself from the programs menu.

I tried to do a repair with Office 07 installed, however it kept crashing on me. It would just come up with an error message that it stopped responding.

At the moment I'm uninstalling Office 07 with intention to re-install. We'll see where that takes us.

I also read that there wasn't an Office 07 64 bit version and that only 2010 offered 32/64 options. Is that true?

EDIT - I also ran Office Diagnostics from the MS Office programs menu. It came back with no errors. I noticed in the error checklist that it checks for compatibility issues. Not sure how relevant this is or how good this tool is but it's some food for thought on the table I suppose.

We're good now. I just had to re-install Office twice. Not even sure what prompted me to try again but I did and, for whatever reason, it works now. Hmm...

Sorry misread the topic. Thought you meant a Excel Spreadsheet for some reason. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom