Nextgen: PC or Console

Actually there are some rumors (of course) that it will have backwards compatibility, but not right out of the box. The talk is that they will make some peripheral device that connects to the new Xbox that will allow you to play 360 games.

Buy a device to play games from a device you already own on the new device you just bought. Unless it's free, it's rather pointless IMO. If they do this it'll pretty much just be like that HD-DVD thing they had for a short period of time. I think the way they should do it, is have the game as a free compatible download in Live if it detects your disc in the drive, or be able to pay for the game if you don't already own it. As we all know, BD drives can read DVDs and DL-DVDs.

Buy a device to play games from a device you already own on the new device you just bought. Unless it's free, it's rather pointless IMO. If they do this it'll pretty much just be like that HD-DVD thing they had for a short period of time. I think the way they should do it, is have the game as a free compatible download in Live if it detects your disc in the drive, or be able to pay for the game if you don't already own it. As we all know, BD drives can read DVDs and DL-DVDs.

I agree 100%. Plus it will just take up more space. Free digital access is an excellent solution. The peripheral most definitely will not be free. Keep in mind Microsoft charges $100 for the adapter that allows your Xbox to connect to the internet wirelessly.

I dont know why backwards compatibility matters so much to people. I mean you are buying the device to play NEW games not old ones. Plus if you really want to play them just keep your old console.

I dont know why backwards compatibility matters so much to people. I mean you are buying the device to play NEW games not old ones. Plus if you really want to play them just keep your old console.

FWIW I shared a taxi once with a guy that said he worked for MS on the 360. He said that very few people actually use BC despite everyone clamoring for it. I almost never see anyone on my ps3 or 360 playing old games, much less ones from previous generations. I never do.

I am a big proponent of BC as long as it makes sense. Mainly because I don't like clutter. The more one system can do the better for me. Similar to people who only game on PCs because a PC is a do EVERYTHING machine and not a one trick pony like the consoles can be.

I am a big proponent of BC as long as it makes sense. Mainly because I don't like clutter. The more one system can do the better for me. Similar to people who only game on PCs because a PC is a do EVERYTHING machine and not a one trick pony like the consoles can be.

Wish that were 100% true... (95% of games do work on new pc's)

I have trouble running old games I wish to go back to and play again, like the Westwood C&C series. I bought the decade collection and the only one I can play without graphical and/or sound issues is Generals and forward (not interested in renegade).

Read that there is fixes you can do that involve tinkering with files and modifying others... but kinda nervous of doing that =/

I agree 100%. Plus it will just take up more space. Free digital access is an excellent solution. The peripheral most definitely will not be free. Keep in mind Microsoft charges $100 for the adapter that allows your Xbox to connect to the internet wirelessly.
Ha, all I did with my old Elite was use a used original Xbox wireless adapter (the one that hooked up to Ethernet) that I paid 20 bucks for at EB Games. I then modded a big antenna on it :lol:

To the rest, simple solution if you want all in ones. An HTPC will do everything the old consoles + the Wii will do, plus play your movies of any sort, has upgradeable hardware capabilities to keep up with the times, AND can serve as a file server to stream to other devices in the house. Right now I have a PC and 360 hooked up to my projector. It's all done with these two.

Edit: And it doesn't take a monster machine to emulate the older consoles either.

Last edited:
Wish that were 100% true... (95% of games do work on new pc's)

I have trouble running old games I wish to go back to and play again, like the Westwood C&C series. I bought the decade collection and the only one I can play without graphical and/or sound issues is Generals and forward (not interested in renegade).

Read that there is fixes you can do that involve tinkering with files and modifying others... but kinda nervous of doing that =/

Have you checked Gog.com? They take old games like that and mess with them so they work on current PCs. They have a ton of games. A lot of them are like $5 and the have sales all of the time. I did it with an old favorite of mine called Stonekeep and it worked great.

Have you checked Gog.com? They take old games like that and mess with them so they work on current PCs. They have a ton of games. A lot of them are like $5 and the have sales all of the time. I did it with an old favorite of mine called Stonekeep and it worked great.

Nope, haven't and didn't know sites/shops like that existed. Only, I already bought it and don't see why I would buy it again :p

Back
Top Bottom