New Windows 8.1

saintybob

Beta member
ip.php

If you've been screaming from the rooftops for Microsoft to return the Start button to Windows, you're going to be happy. On Wednesday Microsoft unveiled Windows 8.1 at its Microsoft Build conference. The update brings a long list of new features, but most notably, the Start button returns!
Along with the announcement of Windows 8.1 and its new features, Microsoft also announced the release of a preview version for Windows 8.1. Anyone can download and install the preview, but keep in mind it's not final software and is likely to be full of bugs and issues.
To get the Windows 8.1 preview you simply need to visit this link and click on "Get it now." Currently, however, the ISO files aren't available for download, with a note on the site stating that the proper files will be available "within the next day." You can also install the preview through the Windows Store if you don't want to wait for the ISO to become available.
Microsoft has posted a Preview FAQ page to help answer any questions concerning installing the preview via the various methods, or the stability of the beta version. You'll also want to be sure to check the FAQ to ensure your system is compatible with the update, but as a general rule of thumb, if you're already running Windows 8, you'll be able to run 8.1. Make sure to create a complete backup before updating, and treat installing the update as a permanent change on your machine, as going back to Windows 8 requires a complete restore of your system (thus the need for the backup).

Yeah and all of this has been known for a while. Another fact that is missing, the Start Button is back but not the Start Menu!

So I hope you don't think Microsoft went back on their word that the Start Screen and 8UI was here to stay. You are mistaken.

To bad it wont be around as long. Considering the fact that Windows 7 RTM version has already reached End of Life. Add into that they do not plan on making any more SP for it, only means that while you guys want to make it last forever, it will not be supported for as long as you want.

Windows 8 and what it brings is here to stay. People might as well accept that fact now. Windows 9 is not going to bring back the Start Menu. They did not go through all of this to reverse it. They brought back 1 button cause of public outcry. Don't think that the public will force Microsoft to rethink their concept of a unified look for all devices. They even advertise it that way.

So yeah. Get used to change. It happens and no matter what the outcry is, either you go with it or find something else. I wouldn't know every version of Windows from 1.01 to 8.1 if I wasn't willing to accept change. It happens around us daily. Stop fighting it already.

Oh don't be so pessimistic, Microsoft sometimes listens to their costumers... Sometimes.

Support isn't a big deal for me either, then again, none of us here are probably normal end users.

I'll stick with windows 7 until something better comes along, if 8 changes in a way that makes it more preferable for me, I'll switch. For now, it's not worth the hassle for me.

Also, even if the new windows GUI is here to stay, it's pretty obvious from consumer reaction that more will need to be changed before people accept it.

Also, the metro ui for windows server? Come on MS, are you even trying? Everyone I know is turning the gui off.

Just cause your not a normal end user doesnt mean a dang thing when it comes to having an insecure and unsupported OS. You are smarter than the average user so you should know that running an OS that no longer gets updates and patches is the worst idea ever. Even more than adopting to the new look and feel of Windows.

So go ahead and try to use Win7 for as long as you want. But as soon as patches are no longer released, I hope you follow the lead of others and also suggest to others that they update to the latest OS for security.

Hassle for you? Seriously? I have been using Windows since the mid 80's. If it wasnt a hassle for me to adopt to Win8, then it isnt hard. Sorry but that is nothing more than an excuse for laziness. It took less than 10 minutes to learn how to use Win8 and less than an hour to fully adopt to it. From someone who has used Windows for over 25 years to be able to do that, someone who has only used it for a few years can adopt to it much quicker. You choose not to.

Dont take my word for it though. I dont know anything. But just saying that after all my time online heping people and everything I seen, nothing ever changes. Just go back to the topics about Vista and even the early topics about Win7. I have a few reviews of the Beta Build where people bash it for the Superbar and other things it offered. Those same people now preach it is the best OS to date. The same will be said of Win8 a year from now when Win9 starts to leak. The cycle is always the same and never ends. I have heard the same story over and over again so many times that it is tiresome to talk about it anymore.

Another addition is going to be the integration of better touch control on laptop touch pads. One big gripe for end users is you miss out on a lot of the touch screen capabilities windows 8 has to offer when using a touch pad (Windows 8 with a touch screen is awesome btw).

Microsoft is working with various driver manufacturers to include some of the touch screen gestures into the touch pad driver. I'm excited to see what they include.

Another addition is going to be the integration of better touch control on laptop touch pads. One big gripe for end users is you miss out on a lot of the touch screen capabilities windows 8 has to offer when using a touch pad (Windows 8 with a touch screen is awesome btw).

Microsoft is working with various driver manufacturers to include some of the touch screen gestures into the touch pad driver. I'm excited to see what they include.

That'd be interesting to see.

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and specifically looked for one without a touchscreen. I tested touchscreens with Win 8 and, for me, touchscreen is nothing more than a PITA on a computer. Touch works fine on a small screen device like a phone or a tablet but on the larger screen of a laptop it requires entirely too much in the way of arm movement to be practical.

I also greatly dislike touch pads but gave the one on this laptop a try since it supports the multi-touch gestures but ended up disabling the touch pad and simply using a mouse which works substantially better.

Back
Top Bottom