Networking with crossover cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cards do not use all of the RJ45 pins in order to establish a connection. They only use a couple pairs. Even though you seem to be getting a good connection because windows tell you, doesn't mean that it will work. Of course this is only a 2% chance, but still, it's worth a try. :)

a way to tell for sure is to get 2 straight cables and a cheap $10 hub (no need for a switch or anything fancy). Just a 5port hub will do and two store bought straight cables to make sure that everything else is good. If you are still having problems then you know it's not the cables.

I dont have any other supplies on me right now.

I will either get or make a new one when im out of work today.

Any other suggestions to try in the mean time?

ok its something with the 2000 machine, me and my friends xp machine can connect and do everything just fine.

The windows version shouldn't keep you from pinging each other...
Try Start>Run>"cmd">"ipconfig /all" and make sure that the ethernet adapter has an ip (when both machines are booted up) BTW, the computers see the cable as "uplugged" when they both aren't on because the only thing establishing the connection is that crossover cable and the two comps, so when one goes down, the other "losses" the connection. Anyway, if both do have an IP, then everything should be working. If it isn't, then update drivers on the 2K machine, since the XP machine works fine. If you get really desperate, try booting said 2K machine in safe mode with networking support, then repeat the process above. Good luck.

ill try to sift through the win2k machines setting, like I said it was previously on the network, and it was configured to use my works internet, but ive tried setting most things back to regular (how the xp machine is kind of setup) since it was setup in an odd fashion, IT guys there arent the brightest

and the wireless is run not at my work, but at the hospital and university (which we are apart of but we dont run that part)

but I will see what I come up with in the morning

ok I did the ipconfig /all , changed the ip on the 2k machine, but noticed it says DHCP is off, and I cant figure out how to change that on this machine.

Is this the problem? any ideas?

oh yea and on the win2k machine its not coming up as NIC, its "Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)" , that a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom