Networking Problem with xp and 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvspe

Beta member
Hello,

-I have a LAN network with a smc switch with 8 ports

-the network has 2 computers (both with windows 98 and both can connect to the internet with thier own modem) and one leased copier/printer pluged into the switch (the leasing co. configured the copier/printer to operate on the network)

-I ran the correct wiring through the walls and I have 8 cat5 wall connections to the network working, only 3 are being used now

-the printer is the main thing being shared on the network

-the network has been working good for about a year now

Problem, purchased a new computer to add to the network, HP with xp on it, no internet connection setup was going to use the connection on another computer but can not get the new computer to see the other computers and the other computer to see the new hp.

I completed the wizard (to set up the network) on the Hp with xp on it a number of times, I created the required disk to load onto the other two computers with windows 98 but I can not get it to see the other computers

I called hp for help but could not get any for this problem, I was on hold for a number of min. cut off called back put back on hold a number of time but never got help for this problem

the swithch has 4 lights on which includes the new computer but only the printer/copier and the two 98 computers are on the network,

I also installed the drivers for the copier/printer onto the hp computer

please help
bvinspe

The first thing that you should do is disable the XP computer's internal firewall. Start > Settings Control Panel (or) Start > Control Panel (depending on how you have it setup). Once in the control panel, switch to classic view (upper left). Double-Click on Network Connections and then right-click on the Local Area Network connection that is your current wired connection. Click on Properties. Goto the Advanced Tab and then make sure that the option for the Internet Connection Firewall is disabled.

Then right-click on my computer and click properties (or) double-click on system within the Control Panel. Goto the Computer Name tab and make sure that youre on the same workgroup as the other PCs. After you reboot, try connecting to another PC through Netwrok Neighborhood from the 98 machines.
You may also want to try and ping the XP computer name from the Windows 98 machines. Let us know the results of the ping because this can also quickly determine what the problem might be.

-Mike

Thanks Mike

I did make sure all the groups were the same on all the computers, I am not sure about the ping process put will try to do that today,

bvinspe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom