Network Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethereal_Dragon said:
All a cross over cable does is switches the wires between the ends.... 1 end will be TIA/EIA 568A the other will be TIA/EIA 568B... This makes it so that when you connect 2 LIKE DEVICES, the pairs are flipped so that they can successfully communicate. If you have 2 PC's connected with an ethernet cable, you would need a crossover cable. If you use a straight-through cable, PC1 will be transmitting on the SAME PAIRS as PC2. Similarly, they will BOTH be RECEIVING on the same pairs. The crossover makes it so that PC1's transmit goes to PC2's recieve, and PC2's transmit goes to PC1's recieve....

Cross over have NOTHING to do with HOW a device functions... a hub is a hub, and that is ALL it will ever be.

Hub (repeater) - Layer 1
Switch (bridge) - Layer 2
Router - Layer 3

since you want to be a techinical.

if you hook a cable modem that has 1 ip address up to a hub you will get only one computer that can pick up the internet on that hub. now if you run a crossover cable from that modem to the hub. each computer will have the internet.

if you run the crossover cable from a router that doesn't have a uplink (dlink) switch to a hub they will all pick up the net too.

so like the fvck I said, it will essentially make a hub a router meaning it will let them pick up the internet. (mr. technical, essentially doesn't mean the exact same thing)

technicalize that

Switchesandsnitches001.jpg

Switchesandsnitches003.jpg

EricB said:
since you want to be a techinical.

if you hook a cable modem that has 1 ip address up to a hub you will get only one computer that can pick up the internet on that hub. now if you run a crossover cable from that modem to the hub. each computer will have the internet.

if you run the crossover cable from a router that doesn't have a uplink (dlink) switch to a hub they will all pick up the net too.

so like the fvck I said, it will essentially make a hub a router meaning it will let them pick up the internet.

Switchesandsnitches001.jpg

Switchesandsnitches003.jpg

Let me clear something here, when you connect a hub to the switch you need to use a crossover cable unless the ports are auto-MDI/MDIX (With auto-MDI/MDIX you can use either a straight or crossover cable). Your home router has buildin switch ports, basically one WAN port and 4 or more Switch ports (LAN ports). The router is the NAT/PAT device that provide you with the ability to share a single public IP address. The switch or hub can't do any of that, what its basically does is allow you to add more computer by providing more LAN ports.

I don't see how connecting a modem with straight or crossover cable to a switch/hub makes any different. If you only have 1 public address, then connecting with a switch with either cable wouldn't matter at all. There will only be 1 public address and if it's already taken by a computer the rest has to wait until it's off.

There are exception to this, most modem support NAT/PAT feature with DHCP to provide more private address so you can connect a switch or hub to the modem and have mutilple computer access the net.

Basically the cable doesn't do anything to turn anything into what it isn't. It does dictate rather the device will communicate correctly.

potato, patato.

my modem (a lot of modem) won't like my gigabit switch (hub) get the internet with a regular network cable. my old dlink routers (the wired0 needed a crossover cable to make my hub work as did my old belkin router. but my olther belkin router that had an uplink switch I could use just regular network cable.

my dlinks claim to have that auto-MDI/MDIX mess, yet they still needed the crossover cable to make the net work

I think that you guys need to get a life. I gave a brief description, yet you guys wants to analyze every little word that I said.

EricB, we were not anaylizing what you said. Simply put, what we did is CORRECT what you initially said about crossover cables, the same way mikesgroovin CORRECTED your statement about speeds different cables will support.

As far as getting TECHNICAL, my brief explanation of crossover cables had 2 TECHNICAL phrases in it... BOTH of which can be coppied and pasted into google to find the meaning of, in addition to having a link inside the Wikipedia link I provided... My explanation was a 'simple' explanation, intended to explain to Gscope what a crossover cable is. I accomplished that withough being rude OR cussing..

SO, Gscope, if you have any more info that you need, please let us know.

Apologies EricB

I don't think any of us meant any harm.
It was no different than someone else getting corrected. Some analyzing is one thing. Yet, in this sample thread, I see no over/under analyzing here. You made a clear point on how you made your network work for you. I believe that the referenced posts above are there, simply to make an attempt to question your setup. Unfortunately, as it is worded above, it's impossible. However I'm sure that we donÂ’t question your integrity, something perhaps might be unintentionally left out. No worries :) Imagine a big room full of geeks and nerds.....now image being in this room. Someone is bound to correct someone at some point :)

mikesgroovin said:
For the record, I have a life :p :)

I wasn't mad about what you said. you are probably right. you corrected me. you didn't try to make fun of me.

I was giving a brief description to somebody. now when I first join this forum a couple of years ago. I didn't understand a lot of stuff. especially the big talk. I do now.
I was explaining it in a way that a newcomer understands.

I fix computers for a living. the biggest problem is that most regular people don't understand geek talk. I can explain things in a way that they can understand. they how I get most of my customers

when people people ask about gigabytes, I translate it to them in money terms. they understand that.

that's all I was doing. but they had jokes. I bet that he would have understand my definition better than theirs even if my typing sucks.

Whoa... im some what offended you called me a "normal person" lol :]

Uhm I think I had the right idea when I looked at Cat 5 5e and 6 I just always need some kind of clarification.

Im sorry this Topic on network cables turned into a knock down drag out lol.

~Much thanks to all who posted with help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom