Need Help Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
The iBook is here, and I need to get my files off of the old iMac ASAP. What is the easiest way to do this? MacHelp was NoHelp and I'm confused. :confused:

I got it to work with the ethernet, but can you tell me more about 'target disk mode' ? and yes, the old iMac has firewire.

Target disk mode is when you connect two macs using firewire. The one you want to get the data off of is your "target disk". Start both of them up, holding down the "T" key on the computer you want to get the data off of. You should see that computer's hard drive become a mounted firewire disk drive on your ibook.

another way with any computer using 10.2 + is just connecting them via a ethernet cable and turn on rendevous in iChat and just send the files that way.

g5orbust said:
firewire cable.

Thanks, I got that much already. What I meant was, is there a specific kind of FireWire cable used? The only FW cables I've ever seen or owned have had two different ends on them. And the only FW ports I've ever seen or owned have only accepted one end.

mac_mogul said:
Thanks, I got that much already. What I meant was, is there a specific kind of FireWire cable used? The only FW cables I've ever seen or owned have had two different ends on them. And the only FW ports I've ever seen or owned have only accepted one end.

Firewire, by nature, is full duplex (both ways). Essentially what target disk mode does is turn a computer into a firewire hard drive (for all intents and purposes). Since Apple doesnt use anything else, it would be a 6 pin-6 pin firewire cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom