need help bad 500mhhz imac g3

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverboy6963

Beta member
ok i just got an i mac off a freind who was moving i know nothing about imacs at all but b4 he moved he had locked everything i mean like everything i can get in to almost everything on the desktop but thats about it i need to format and reintsall can any one help me out if not how much could i sell the i mac for it has a boult in cd burner and 2 sticks of 128mb ram and a 20 gig hard drive

o and could i just buy a smaller hdd and throw in there and then reload i am on a buget cuzz i just got a new dell so i dont want to put to much money in to it also some on said i could us a pc hdd in there it was a local computer store and is there any way i can keep some off the stuff thats allready on here and put it on to the new hdd if i go that way like the mp3 and movies and stuff like that thanks for the help and sorry for it being so slong just wanted you guys to know every thing

Wow.

Let me try to help you out here by asking:

1) Is it running OSX?
2) Do you have any system install/restore disks?

But to answer you:

No, you cant put another hard drive in there. The imac only have room for one. You can replace the hard drive, you just cant add another.

As for market value, Id pin it at a few hundred dollars, depending on condition and included items.

nope i dont have any of the cd's with this computer is there any place i can download what i need or can some 1 burn me a copy of them

and about the hdd if i put a 5-10 gig in it would it slow the computer down at all and is there any way to move some stuff off of my curent hdd on to the new one like mp3s movies and othere stuff

and its runing os 9.1 if that helps at all is there a way i can unlock the code so i dont have to replace the hdd i dont even think i can format it but then agine i dont know how to formate a imac i am used to my pc

thanks for trying to help let me know if you know anything more about how to do this and if you can help more

You can order replacement disks from apple. Or if you can find a friend/store near you that has the disks, you can borrow/buy them for very little money. OR if you happen to have any type of Norton SystemWorks for Mac disk lying around, you could boot up using that disk and unlock/reformat from there.

As for selling it, uh... If everything is locked and you don't know how to unlock it, and if you're thinking of slapping a smaller HD in it, then I wouldn't expect to get more than $200.00 for it, unless it's a nice color. If it's a nice color, you may be able to sell it to a shallow college girl. I sold my first iBook to a girl for $500 because she liked the color orange. I think she just carried it around and never used it. :laughing:

But if you plan on using it for something specific, you should look into making it useable. And about the unlock code, i've never heard of anyone using such a thing and I'm sure that there is some sort of override code/password to login as an administrator and change it for yourself, but I don't know of this code.
:)

PRESS_SHIFT--

ATIRAGE PRO

It would be a good idea to somehow, get a MacOS 9.1 (or above)
disk to use as a startop drive if you are trying to format the disk and start all over. But heres a better idea; Just press and hold the "SHIFT" key when your computer starts up. (That turns off extentions.) then open your hard drive, open the "System Folder"
folder, then open the "Controll Panels" folder, and there should be a cntrol panel entitled "Extentions Maneger". Open that, and disable anything that has to do with security locks or password protection. If that dosn't work, then maybee you should try to start over.

Shouldn't you have gotten the code from the friend who gave it to you? Couldn't you somehow contact him?

Oh...and Macmogul...that orange iBook story is so great. :laughing: ... pity on her part. She could have gotten one for 265$ right over here.

OK WELL I AM WAITING FOR MY KEYBOARD TO COME IN THE MAIL THE GUY THAT HAD THE OLD ONE SMASHED THE KEY BOARD ALL OVER HIS PORCH TO WIN A FREE CD ON THE RADIO o sorry bout caps

ok here some more info i cant get the code and when i go to recent applications there is a thing calld fool proof controls

and when i go to
recent server it has some thing called treca and when i try to get in to the hdd or anything that i can do with the mouse (no keyboard yet) it say that is been blocked

also can i put aol on an i mac or do i got to get a imac disk for it thanks every 1 for the help

I suggest you reformat. Looks like everything is locked up tight and if you cant get a hold of the unlocking key then theres nothing you can do.

Get yourself a keyboard and system disks and reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom