MOBILE PHONES --- 2nd Worst Invention Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=73418&eid=4&edate=20070216
Mobile phones 'second worst invention ever'

Only weapons are worse.

Mobile phones are the second worst items ever invented, according to a recent BBC poll.

The communication devices were beaten only by 'weapons' as the worst inventions in a survey of 4,164 people for the BBC's Focus magazine.

The weapons category captured 35 per cent of the vote and included items as diverse as guns, explosives, biological weapons and atomic bombs.

Mobile phones were the next worst invention, according to 17 per cent of those questioned. Nuclear power, television and the Sinclair C5 came joint third with nine per cent.

"When contemporary inventions such as the car and the mobile phone, which apparently enhance modern living, get voted as the worst inventions ever, it makes you realise that technologies and 'objects of desire' that seem to play an integral and important part in our lives may not in fact be pleasing the masses, " said BBC Focus editor Paul Parsons.

Surprisingly, religion snuck into the top 10 with two percent of the vote.

The poll ran on the Radio Times website and web surfers were allowed to type in any answer they wanted.

The top 10 in full:
Weapons (35%)
Mobile phones (17%)
Nuclear power (9%)
Sinclair C5 (9%)
Television (9%)
The car (6%)
Cigarettes (6%)
Fast food (3%)
Speed cameras (3%)
Religion (2%)

I am really surpised that computer did not make this list.

And for those people that are wondering what a Sinclair C5 is, check out Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5

I wonder where Microsoft Product Activation makes this list? :grindteeth:

What's wrong with nuclear power?

Do people not understand it or something... wooo the "N" word lol.

EDIT: Woah.. Apok and I just said the same exact thing haha. :cool:

Cell phones have their place..but they are starting to give people anxiety disorders as the world becomes "instant everything."

My dad hates them. He's a dispatcher for a truck company, and he gets enough calls at home from drivers, I could only imagine if he had a cell phone... 0_o

Apokalipse said:
Nuclear weapons I could understand. but nuclear power?
People really don't understand enough about it.
Just come down to Lucas Hights some time the next time they need to move some Radioactive Material though Sydney.

That watch all the idiot greenies out there try to get in the way of truck that is moving it through. Not to mension all the idiot greenies that seem to compair to Hiroshima.

Like WTF?

BennyV04988 said:
Cell phones have their place..but they are starting to give people anxiety disorders as the world becomes "instant everything."

My dad hates them. He's a dispatcher for a truck company, and he gets enough calls at home from drivers, I could only imagine if he had a cell phone... 0_o

Instant Everything? No, I don't think so. More like "On Demand".

BennyV04988 said:
What's wrong with nuclear power?

Do people not understand it or something... wooo the "N" word lol.
maybe you don't understand it. there's no safe way to dispose of the used fuel that is still quite dangerous. the mountains they plan to bury it in in the future has been requiring more and more money to get it right and now they're saying it may not hold up nearly as long as they thought it would....tens of thousands of years

thankfully I am close enough to a nuclear plant that in the event of the worst, gaara goes boom pretty much simulteanously with the plant without the agonizing radiation suffering :D

molsen said:
maybe you don't understand it. there's no safe way to dispose of the used fuel that is still quite dangerous. the mountains they plan to bury it in in the future has been requiring more and more money to get it right and now they're saying it may not hold up nearly as long as they thought it would....tens of thousands of years
You can choose where to put nuclear waste. the same cannot be said for carbon power plants.

Australia has plenty of unused desert that you can put nuclear waste into.

Apokalipse said:
You can choose where to put nuclear waste. the same cannot be said for carbon power plants.

Australia has plenty of unused desert that you can put nuclear waste into.
Ya but what about the animals you know peta isnt going to stand for that ****:p

actually, scientists say nuclear waste won't significantly damage wildlife. In fact, it will probably only cause an initial impact. After that, the animals will have adapted to it.

Still, plenty of Australian desert is uninhabited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom