Mac Book Pro 17" whine? heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

island woman

Solid State Member
Has anyone gotten their Mac Book Pro 17" yet ? Does it have the whine and heat problems of the 15.4"? Any other problems?

i got my 17" MBP, strangely, there's not TOO much more heat than on normal laptops and there is no whine for me.

17" great no problems-software lacking

I am replying to my own question-absolutely no whine!-very quiet and it is hot- but they say in the manual that is normal with the aluminum body. Very fast and beautiful design. The apple software is a little thin, what's up with no word processor or simple checking program? Quick books pro is pretty useless to the home user and i photo is basically an organizer program and nothing else.
For software you will need to buy:
word processor
money/checking account program for home user
photo editing program like photoshop elements
password and form filler program like roboform
spreadsheet program if you use excel

Hah, I guess being a student has it's benefits. I can get all of those things for insanely cheap prices.

Re: 17" great no problems-software lacking

island woman said:
word processor
Abiword
photo editing program like photoshop elements
I suppose. I'd suggest The GIMP but you presumedly wouldn't want to use X11 for this purpose.
Safari should fill forms for you. Passwords can be remembered by Keychain, it should ask you by default, no?

Anyway, enjoy your machine. Software being thin depends on what you need. I'm of the opinion that Apple should package iWork with the computers they sell the way they do with iLife. Other than that, those aren't programs I'd expect to be prepackaged on a computer you buy. And if you need spreadsheets, you'll need to either go MS Office or find an alternative one. Dells and the like sometimes come with a checking program, but I've yet to see one that isn't just a demo of a sorts.

Re: Re: 17" great no problems-software lacking

You will want to give 1Passwd a whirl. It is similar to RoboForm, it is integrated directly with the OS X keychain, and it works in Safari and Firefox.

1Passwd goes well beyond Safari's autofill and Firefox's Password manager.

Cheers!

I have yet to hear a "whine" on my MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16Ghz, I've heard the FAN when I am playing games and it gets hot. It gets REALLY hot when playing games, so look out o_O. But it runs the games pretty fast :D

I hear you can take some piece of plastic out of it and it'll reduce the heat a fair amount. I think it was posted here not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom