Linux, Windows emulation an Developer Direction. Good thing or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution: Raise your kids on Linux!

have, no fear. i've planned to do so since i was about 14 i think!

People can say all they want about Windows but at least Windows allows you to isntall on ANY machine. I still dont see that out of Apple...

i'm not sure if i've misinterpreted you but that's not true as i see it. linux however can be installed on practically any machine. windows only runs on x86 hardware (natively). there are a lot more architectures out there than that and linux covers more of them than anything else.

I think its great that there are linux distros emulating windows.

Really great.

You'll always have other distros out there. This just makes it easier for people to switch.

BTW, the distro...are you talking about http://vixta.sourceforge.net/ ? I am sure there are others. There is also the linista skin, and then XPDE.

i'm not sure if i've misinterpreted you but that's not true as i see it. linux however can be installed on practically any machine. windows only runs on x86 hardware (natively). there are a lot more architectures out there than that and linux covers more of them than anything else.

Not really. There is XP X64, Vista 64 Bit along with the Itainium based OS's as well. So Windows does not jsut run on X86 natively. There are plenty of people alone on this site that run XP x64 and Vista 64Bit. ;)

Linux does cover them and all that but Windows was first. They haev XP X64 out before Linux 64 Bit.

Plus if you read my comment it was directed toward Apple as you can NOT run OS X natively on a PC withOUT issues or hacks.

actually having just looked it up, I think linux had 64 bit before windows did by about a year, all of them even OS X still have the same problem, drivers/kernel modules that are true 64 bit are few and far between

anyway, linux runs on almost anything not just x86, its been ported to tons of different processor architectures, that's one of beauties of it, being written in C its quite portable

there are builds of linux for cpu architectures that windows does not have a build for, but they tend to be very unused or outdated architectures.

Not really. There is XP X64, Vista 64 Bit along with the Itainium based OS's as well. So Windows does not jsut run on X86 natively. There are plenty of people alone on this site that run XP x64 and Vista 64Bit.

Linux does cover them and all that but Windows was first. They haev XP X64 out before Linux 64 Bit.

Plus if you read my comment it was directed toward Apple as you can NOT run OS X natively on a PC withOUT issues or hacks.

i had no idea there was a version for Itanium processors. x64 is still for x86 processors though, just those with either EMT64 or AMD64 instructions. anyway i digress, i see your original point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom