iTunes DRM free and what it REALLY means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
Since iTunes now is going almost in a 100% DRM-free direction, the question came to mind about what this really means for us consumers. I understand that iTunes plus has been around for a while now, but here's my understanding of it. DRM-free tracks have no limitation to CD burning. However, I'm still under the understanding that you still have to authorize each individual computer to play your iTunes purchased music, if that computer doesn't get the music from a burned CD. This, for me, defeats the purpose of DRM-free. If they tout DRM-free music, why not just make it .mp3?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Which I think I am...

i gave up on iTunes many years ago, mainly cuz of the price for individual tracks. I'm all for artist compensation, but 99 cents a song? Datalyss don't play dat.

i gave up on iTunes many years ago, mainly cuz of the price for individual tracks. I'm all for artist compensation, but 99 cents a song? Datalyss don't play dat.

Well, look at the price of CD's. Usually around like $15-$20 when new, and they only have like 10-15 songs usually. That's at least $1/song, if not more.

Well, look at the price of CD's. Usually around like $15-$20 when new, and they only have like 10-15 songs usually. That's at least $1/song, if not more.

But if you aren't paying for the physical media, and they are saving money without paying for shipping, warehousing, etc. of the CD's, the downloads should obviously be much cheaper and at the same time more profitable.

This thread makes me a sad panda. The fun of music at least to me , is buying a physical copy of the album , looking through lyrics art , the CD. The huge plus of a CD is that the encoding is far better then what you download (maybe not flac). A huge amount of artists are again est it too , but from how things are rolling CD's and Record's will die soon....

Not to mention with a CD you are getting higher quality audio. That right there justifies $5 more for me.

Maybe iTunes is getting rid of the DRM and changing the prices to encourage more buyers?

Since the economy is down I'm sure this might stimulate more people to start buying songs for the first time?

I cant count more than 5 songs that have been produced in the 10 years that are worth purchasing.

Personally, abusing BMG is still the way to go.

Maybe iTunes is getting rid of the DRM and changing the prices to encourage more buyers?

Since the economy is down I'm sure this might stimulate more people to start buying songs for the first time?

Sure would. And I know of a certain pre-pay music download store that has very low prices because they charge by the volume of data downloaded...no set prices per song. Plus, you can choose your own format and bitrate. It would do Apple good to copy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom