ISP that allows you to be a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I'm a bit mad at my ISP as I pay good money for them and I want to become a server I have the right OS and setup. They said my account would be disabled. They only give you 80KB uploads so I don't see the harm of having a web server it's not like it will drain them of their bandwidth. Can someone direct me to a good ISP that has high uploads but still a some what decent download speed for an affordable price.

Tyler1989 said:
I'm a bit mad at my ISP as I pay good money for them and I want to become a server I have the right OS and setup. They said my account would be disabled. They only give you 80KB uploads so I don't see the harm of having a web server it's not like it will drain them of their bandwidth. Can someone direct me to a good ISP that has high uploads but still a some what decent download speed for an affordable price.

Sorry to hear about that broadbandreports.com has a big list of ISPs. Remember that most ISPs do not allow any kind of server, you might also try running the server on a non-standard port and use a free DNS service to forward it like DynDNS.org which will make it less likely for them to notice :)

Also, you could try talking to your ISP about a business class connection.

They're a little more expensive, but they allow more freedom.

I don't know the cost difference, but I can't setup a server on my residential service through Cox. However, if I upgrade my connection to a business connection (no faster than what I've currently got) they unblock ports, and I could host a server.

Tyler there are VERY FEW ISPs that will allow their consumer class customers host servers of ANY kind.

If you want to legitimatly be a server you MUST pay the price.

Uniserve

I am not sure where you are, but a company called Uniserve allows you to appear as a "virtual ISP" provider which sounds like what you are looking for. It lets it appear as though you are the ISP provider.

I am not sure of the costs. It is called Wholesale Internet service. Might be a start for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom