Installing Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam123

In Runtime
Ive been reading on the "Unoffical Ubuntu Guide". I'm trying to install Java so i can download Limewire. I goto the terminal and i type...

PHP:
sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.5
sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.5
java -version
It then asks me for a password...I tried the password i use for my user account, and that wont work...Any ideas?

type in the console:
"sudo passwd root"
without the quotes.
type in the root (admin) password you want.

then you can use that.

Good luck

IMO I wouldn't do that as that enables the root account. Ubuntu doesn't enable a root account by default, like so other distros. When it asks for a password it is asking for your password. This gives you 15 minutes of root privileges. After that you will be prompted for your password again. It is likely that your user account hasn't got the right privileges to use the 'sudo' command. To change this go to System -> Administration, and click users. Under the user privileges tab you should find a check box with "Executing system administration tasks", if its unchecked then check it. If you have enable the root account you can undo it by going to the terminal and typing "sudo passwd -l root" without the quotes. But if you tried enabling root from your account it should not have let you if you couldn't use the 'sudo' command.

See here about Ubuntu and root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom