I need a really good laptop for gaming, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notedog

Baseband Member
I'm looking to buy a laptop, and I need one that can handle games with the quality of Half Life 2, Doom III, and F.E.A.R. I've looked at the specs, but I still don't know to much about computers, so I'm a little lost. What would YOU GUYS (whom I am assuming to be well knowleged in the PC area) recomend? I want one that can handle all the latest and upcoming games. What are the minimum specs I should look for to handle them? Furthermore, what other features should I look for in a laptop? I'm hoping to set up the ultimate gaming rig, so I want all the features, stereo outputs, screens, battery life, wireless adaptors etc.

I want to get a laptop that can handle a game like F.E.A.R. at it's maximum (specs are included below), because I'm assuming that to be the most technologically advanced PC game out right now. However, I don't want to buy a new laptop for a while, so if I get one, will I be able to upgrade these stats individually as time goes on?

Here are the specs that I ABSOLUTELY need.

Windows 2000/XP with latest service pack installed
--DirectX 9.0c (included in demo)
--P4 1.7 GHz or equivalent
---512MB RAM
--64MB 3D card (GeForce4 Ti4200 or Radeon 9600 or better); hardware T&L and pixel shader support
--5.0 GB hard drive space (for full retail version)
--16-bit DX9-compliant sound card with support for EAX 2.0

Supported 3D chipsets:

nVidia GeForce4 Ti, GeForce FX 5900, FX 5900 Ultra, 6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 Pro, 9600 XT, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro, x700 XT, x800 XT, x850 XT

* 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers

* 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.

With all this in mind, and the fact that I am interested in online multiplayer gaming, would anyone be able to tell me a complete list of specs and features I should look for in my search for a laptop, or better yet, an actual model itself? I'd also like if people can recomend brand names. Thanks for helping out the new guy.

the "absolutely" specs are pretty damn low

there's no such laptop that can play fear max on laptop w/o lag or overheating, go dream

you expect too much

and if this was possible, expect it cost $3000-4000

Well thats no good. I'm going to college next year so I want a laptop, not a desktop, but if laptops can't handle EVERYTHING, then I'm screwed.

Notedog said:

Here are the specs that I ABSOLUTELY need.

Windows 2000/XP with latest service pack installed
--DirectX 9.0c (included in demo)
--P4 1.7 GHz or equivalent
---512MB RAM
--64MB 3D card (GeForce4 Ti4200 or Radeon 9600 or better); hardware T&L and pixel shader support
--5.0 GB hard drive space (for full retail version)
--16-bit DX9-compliant sound card with support for EAX 2.0

Supported 3D chipsets:

nVidia GeForce4 Ti, GeForce FX 5900, FX 5900 Ultra, 6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 Pro, 9600 XT, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro, x700 XT, x800 XT, x850 XT

* 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers

* 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.

What is this? Minimum specs?

Forget playing FEAR on a laptop. Also, just because a game is compatible with a desktop GPU does not necessarily mean it supports it's laptop counterpart.

diabloII is correct a good gaming laptop will probably cost you twice as much as a good gaming desktop. You can buy many laptops out there that can play HL2 and Doom 3 like the Dell gaming laptops but then you have to deal with Dell. Fear is a different story.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Also, if you're going to college you will be too busy partying and studying to be playing games anyways (at least I was). Save your money for beer tabs and lap dances. Great times. :D

Listen, a top of the line desktop would have trouble with FEAR on highest settings. You have to keep that in mind. Laptops are inherently less powerful. You'll be able to play it, if u get a fairly expensive laptop, but highest settings? Not happening

Heyyo,

There are laptops out with intergrated mobility radeon 9800 pros, which will run the game quite well, but not at full graphics. If you wanted the strongest laptop possible you'd need to buy an overpriced alienware laptop like this one:

http://www.alienware.com/product_de...sCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

this one will play very close to almost full graphics quality, it's got 3 graphics cards to chose from:

ATI Mobility RADEON X800 with 256MB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800 with 256MB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800 ULTRA with 256MB DDR3

so those will run anygame very well man, but the price will be painful.

or you could just buy a really good desktop pc, take the case out, put a bunch of foam in a backback, and throw all the insides of the pc in the backpack. then get a LCD and ur good to go
i mean, thats what any smart person would do anyways

you could try a dell laptop, the new ones are fairly good, but it depends what your budget is, the dell XPS M170 laptop with GOOD specs would cost at least £2000/$3500. if you haven't got this much, then desktop is the best plan. Either build your own for cheap, or buy a ready built one for lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom