I just have a few questions about Routers..

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Why is it Important to have a Good Router.

What should I look for when buying a new router.

Why isn't my ISP Router good enuf

& finally

should I upgrade from the standard Router I have to something like CISCO.

Do you need a better router? Would one help you fix or improve your wireless? Are you getting the rated speed that your paying for?

Do you need a better router? Would one help you fix or improve your wireless? Are you getting the rated speed that your paying for?

I don't use wireless, I use Ethernet simply because its more secure and the speeds are better. I do get the speed I'm provided with by my ISP but with regards to the router I was thinking about one with a VPN Software involved. Something built in to the Router. I was looking at one for well over £160 and it was the Dogs B*****'* . A lot of the technology was Wireless on it but I wasn't sure about any change over that would be involved between my Router I have now and this one:

ASUS DSL-AC68U AC1900 ultimate AC performance: 600+1300Mbps VDSL2/ADSL2+ Router - 90IG00V1-BU2G00 - Scan.co.uk

Mabie some sort of addresses that would need putting in to it, or something that would require my ISP to recodnise it. Since I'm using their I was provided with.

1) Why is it important to have a good router?
I wouldn't say it's important, but it's very nice to have. A good router will reduce the latency of connections due to better network interfaces and faster processing, meaning that web pages will open more quickly and give you slightly more of edge in online gaming. They can also include under-the-hood features and more powerful signaling which can make your connection faster if you're on ADSL (not so much for fibre).

Case in point - kmanmx got a new router a couple years ago for one of his parent's home connection, in order to improve the throughput. While it did nudge it up slightly, what actually ended up being the big improvement is how much quicker and nicer web browsing was due to the pages loading more quickly.

2) What should I look for when buying a new router?
I'm not really sure as I haven't done the research. I'd talk to kman, I think he knows at least a bit more than I do. I do know that it's not worth buying the £100+ routers you see, as at that point you're just paying for software/convenience features which aren't much use if you're not a basic user.

3) Why isn't my ISP Router good enuf
Because they try to make them as cheap as possible will still being functional. This means that they die more easily and more quickly, they aren't as fast as they could be, and they are MUCH less stable on average, meaning you have to reboot them quite often. They also run hotter due to cheaper design. A decent router should need rebooting maybe a couple of times a year.

4) should I upgrade from the standard Router I have to something like CISCO.
No. Just get a good consumer router. Cisco brand is for large organisations and you will paying for uptime, quality, and features that you could never make use of, so it is a waste of money.

1) Why is it important to have a good router?
I wouldn't say it's important, but it's very nice to have. A good router will reduce the latency of connections due to better network interfaces and faster processing, meaning that web pages will open more quickly and give you slightly more of edge in online gaming. They can also include under-the-hood features and more powerful signaling which can make your connection faster if you're on ADSL (not so much for fibre).

Case in point - kmanmx got a new router a couple years ago for one of his parent's home connection, in order to improve the throughput. While it did nudge it up slightly, what actually ended up being the big improvement is how much quicker and nicer web browsing was due to the pages loading more quickly.

2) What should I look for when buying a new router?
I'm not really sure as I haven't done the research. I'd talk to kman, I think he knows at least a bit more than I do. I do know that it's not worth buying the £100+ routers you see, as at that point you're just paying for software/convenience features which aren't much use if you're not a basic user.

3) Why isn't my ISP Router good enuf
Because they try to make them as cheap as possible will still being functional. This means that they die more easily and more quickly, they aren't as fast as they could be, and they are MUCH less stable on average, meaning you have to reboot them quite often. They also run hotter due to cheaper design. A decent router should need rebooting maybe a couple of times a year.

4) should I upgrade from the standard Router I have to something like CISCO.
No. Just get a good consumer router. Cisco brand is for large organizations and you will paying for up time, quality, and features that you could never make use of, so it is a waste of money.

I might seriously consider Buying one as in a new router but the only thing putting me off is having it configured for the ISP I have at the moment. I have had routers in the past and never had or even sure you can get a Plug and Play Router so I'll be thinking carefully about it. Its not a case of just plugging it in and being away. I know you have specific settings for example you would have to configure.

If you don't know what you are doing its just a nite mare.

Sounds like you're confusing modem and router.

Modem is what needs to be authenticated on the ISP side - usually you just have to call up your ISP, give them the MAC address of your modem, and they will authorize it on your account.

Router's don't require much setup either, unless you require a lot of custom settings. Otherwise..they're pretty much plug-and-play, besides setting up Wifi security.

Back
Top Bottom