hide desktop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
just thought id finally share it with people i had it set up for few years now and i m very sure that someone else has thought of this also but. for the rest that didnt here it is.

for people that have a great wallpaper that thy dont want to be ruined by icons.

1)use the XP start menu quick launch for proggies that u access once in a while and use regular quick launch toolbar for all the daily proggies.

2) you can create a folder in quick launch menu so you can drag all your junk icons that are piling up on ur desktop every month.

3) in the right click desktop menu>arrange icons by:
uncheck: "auto arrange" and "align to grid"

4) now you can get rid of both "recycle bin" and "my computer icons"

first lets take care of recycle bin
in desktop properties>desktop click:customize desktop
select recycle bin empty and click "change icon"

and look for this file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll"
now skip thru the available icons till you see a blank space select it and your recycle bin will dissappear when its empty
then do same for recycle bin full and pick an icon that u prefer from same list (or leave default)

you can't delete or rename recycle bin icon on desktop but, you can drag it down untill the tag is covered by taskbar and leave it there.
done with recycle bin

not onto "MY computer"
same thing is done to my computer
select icon and select blank space from the list, hit enter and apply icon disappears but the name still there.

right click on it to rename and instead of letters press space and then enter.

now you have a completely invisible "my computer" icon
so in order to find it every time with even less effort than when it was visible,
drag the icon all the way up into left corner and make sure its all the way in there up to the last pixel of the desktop.

now you can just roll your mousepointer in that corner and double click without aiming.

heres a link to my desktop image

desktop clean by ~mute9003 on deviantART

Here is a even easier solution.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

TweakUI for Windows XP. This will remove your desktop icons. Including the Recycle Bin. The rest you can either delete or create a folder for somewhere else. Like i do.

Create a folder on your start menu, then create your own personal toolbar.

I just think that using TweakUI is much easier.

yes i know that i was gonna mention it too.
but can you still use them?
i belive that it removes them completely not makes them invisible

try it and see how u like the my computer icon all the way in the corner tho:)

I am not bothered by going thru the start menu for my Computer stuff. It seems really nice. I might give it a shot.

ObjectDock FTW! I have no icons whatsoever... recycle bin, my computer, nada. i can have OD hide if I want to have absolutely nothing on my desktop. ;)

I have my main programs on the dock, as well as some folders I access a lot, such as Downloads, Desktop Shortcuts (for those programs generate without asking and I don't want to delete), and My Documents. I have a My computer shortcut on it, as well. For all the other stuff I use the Start menu.

I use some icons on my Desktop, although as of late it's been getting a bit cluttered with some downloads I had lol.

I don't really like docks, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom