Helping me access TV on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I'm not sure if this is a technical issue or not, or maybe someone can help.

I am a Time Warner Cable customer. TWC has a new feature called "LiveTV" where at TWCTV.com, you can watch TV channels online if you're a TWC customer. Sounds great.

Logged into the site with my username and password. Tried to access "LiveTV" but it says "To watch live TV, you must be connected to your home network." Hmmm.....I can do other services thru that site, like control my DVR, but can't access "LiveTV".

FYI, my internet service provider is Verizon DSL, NOT Time Warner. Just use TWC for cable, not internet.

Call TWC to ask for help. First they tell me I have to call Verizon to get some sort of network ID and password. That made no sense, and Verizon had no idea what I was talking about.

Then I speak to another rep and says having Verizon broadband is fine, but I need installation of a "gateway" in my home to allow access to LiveTV. Sounds fine to me. Then I get transferred...then they no, you have to have TWC Internet service as well as cable to access LiveTV. This is strange because it doesn't say that anywhere in their FAQ info. and no one told me that before.

Now I'm wondering if they are just saying that to get me to switch to TWC Internet.

So long story short, maybe I can figure this out myself. What type of "gateway" would I need to install to get LiveTV on my computer. Why would I need TWC Internet and not any broadband to access their "LiveTV" channels on my PC? Wouldn't it be like Netflix or Hulu or HBOGo where I can just access the channels with any internet connection?

Maybe someone can help me figure this out on my own....and not have to switch to TWC Broadband to get the channels on my PC which I think I'm entitled to with my TWC Cable subscription.

i'd double check to see if the cable box or dvr is compatible.

What do I need in order to use TWC TV? | Time Warner Cable | New York City

Question:
What do I need in order to use TWC TV?
Answer:

You will need all of the following to use TWC TVâ„¢:

Time Warner Cable video package (Standard/Expanded Basic level or higher to access the Live TV feature)
WiFi connection
Time Warner Cable Username & Password
Compatible cable box or DVR is required to access interactive program guide, channel tuning, and DVR management functionalities.

Maybe someone can help me figure this out on my own....and not have to switch to TWC Broadband to get the channels on my PC which I think I'm entitled to with my TWC Cable subscription.

What you think your entitled to is a far cry from what they can or will provide you. Just cause you pay for their cable service, that doesn't mean you are entitled to use their LiveTV service via the PC. If they want only their customers that have the Cable and Internet package, that is their right. It is not your right to bypass them to access a service you are not entitled to cause you don't meet the requirements of it.

Plus from what it sounds like, you need to have a DVR unit as well as have that DVR unit connected to your home network.

BTW, I am also a Time Warner Customer and in no way do I feel that I am entitled to anything that they offer as part of their service. I pay for internet and basic cable through them. I dont think I am entitled to all the premium channels just cause they get some of my money. You are not entitled to everything just cause you have service with them. Some offers are only available to those that pay the premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom