Help on work sever for file sharing

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I need help on how to make a work file sharing server. I have files from work that i would like to share with my computer at home. I an old computer which has probably a gig of ram and a Pentium with a 250gb HDD. HDD is not a deal for me because what i want to share are really small files, like KB and sometimes MB. I'm thinking something like with a domain so i can just map it with windows. Both home and work computer have windows 7 ultimate and the old computer has xp. So what you guys think?

It would be disastrous to install windows server and setup a domain on a gig of RAM. Recommended is 2 GB, idealistically if you are going to run file shares and setup a domain on the computer you should use 4 GB.

A domain setup would be the most ideal for a file share. I personally would setup a box running server 2012 R2 or server 2008 r2 (keep in mind licensing for this is like 600+ bucks), i would then make that a domain controller. Once that is done you can then setup a file share or use DFS to share out a name space. I like a domain structure for the main reason of granular security settings.

If all that is too deep, just setup windows 7 on that box and share out the file structure you want shared.

Back
Top Bottom