Help! ..need LAN access on Linksys WRT54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

angiasaa

Beta member
I've just bought myself a Wireless-G Broadband Router: Linksys WRT54G v5.0. I upgraded the firmware to v1.00.6, Jan. 10, 2006.

After tinkering around with it for a long time, I've finally managed to configure it to connect to the internet from my Desktop (Direct CAT5 connection) or Laptop (Wireless/CAT5).

However, I want to be able to access my Desktop from my Laptop and vice versa. when I try looking through Network Neighborhood (win98 - Desktop) or My Network Places (WinXP - Both Desktop and Laptop), I can only see myself, I cannot see the other system.

I have half a mind telling me that it's the fact that the 'Operating Mode' in Setup>Advanced Routing is configured as "Gateway", and it should possibly be "Router".

A friend suggested I should enable DMZ.

I'm kinda lost.... Any suggestions for making my internal network visible/accessible?

make sure that all the computers are on the same work group too so you can share resources over the network...

I don't think DMZ will help with file sharing, what it only does is leave a client PC vulnerable to the internet. You setup a DMZ usually for a webserver when your firewall is to aggressive and won't let other computer access through it. The advanced routing is just use when you connect router to router, has nothing to do with file sharing. All computer are in the same network and LAN segment. They should be able to see each other through NetBIOS broadcasts. Check Workgroup, check if NetBIOS is enable, check your file permission.

Good tool is to open up command prompt and ping the other computer just to verify you can communicate with it. Because if you can't then you shouldn't even consider begining the file sharing process.

Law said:
Good tool is to open up command prompt and ping the other computer just to verify you can communicate with it. Because if you can't then you shouldn't even consider begining the file sharing process.

Right, start out by trying to ping each other. Make sure that your XP firewalls are disabled and also that you have file/print sharing enabled on the computers. You can't see the other computers in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places because of file and print sharing not being enabled or not being in the same workgroup. But, you don't need to be in the same workgroup to share anything. Check the following:

1) File and Print Sharing needs to be enabled
2) XP firewall disabled
3) Try to ping each other with either a computer name or an IP address
4) The WRT54G is setup fine (keep it acting as a Gateway, not a router. That's what all these devices are anyway, they are all Gateways with a tiny bit of Routing technology

Start out with the above and see where you get.

Thanks guys, though you were close, I found out what the problem really was. (yeah, I'm kinda feeling silly about it!)

My Desktop was being used as a standalone system for over a year, so I tweaked the services that were'nt needed desperately and disabled them.

NEhoo, the main issue, was getting the computers to see each other. I could ping both systems from any machine, so there was definately a connection. However, I could'nt get them to see each other on the network.

here's what fixed that for me:

Network Porperties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Advanced... > WINS

There, I selected Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

This, I did on both computers.

After a restart, both computers could see each other in My Networks, but double-clicking (either system) would throw up an error saying something like "\\DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Please contact your Network Administrator for details"

To fix this:

enabled "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" (set to Automatic start)
enabled "Workstation" (also set to Automatic start)

*REBOOT*

Now, I can access both systems from each other, so I'm cool.

Nevertheless, there are times when suddenly, my desktop goes *bling* and my laptop throws up the same "Contact your Network Administrator" message. Nothing a reboot does'nt fix, but it's still a pita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom