Help Connecting Second Wireless Router

Barndtron

Beta member
Hi All,

My Wi-Fi does not reach my bedroom so I'm installing a second router.

I tried just doing a plug and play set up with a different SSID (I use a powerline adapter to run the signal to my room).

But that stopped working after like 2 days.

I read that I had to set up the other specifically.

So I followed some tutorials and here's where I'm at:

I have the first router plugged into the modem. That router is a dlink at http://192.168.0.1/ with WPA-PSK security on channel 6.

I then have the powerline adapter in my room plugged into the first ethernet port on a Linksys router set to Bridge mode at IP address (auto) 169.254.187.80 with WPA Personal sercurty on channel 11. Both share an SSID and PW.

This connection puts out a strong signal, but the speed is sometimes zero, and sometimes like half a meg. We have a 15mbps connection.

Is the fact that the securities are different to blame? The linksys doesn't have WPA-SPK as an option.

Please help! I've tried everything to get wifi across my whole apartment.

IP address (auto) 169.254.187.80

That's part of your problem right there. That's an APIPA/link local ip address, which you can't do anything with. It's what you get when you are unable to get a valid ip address (which you need for a network connection). It's not the problem in and of itself but it does indicate a problem, possibly with dhcp.

Where are you seeing that the Linksys router has that ip?

So, if I follow this correctly, you have a DLink connected to a modum at location 'A', and using power line adapters, a linksys router at location 'B', correct?

Power line adapters need to be setup correctly before they can proform correctly and yes they do act up.

If you followed the set up on the power adapters correctly, you plug a computer into the far unit and you should get a correct IP address on it, (from your main router).

If that happens, then unplug the computer, connect the linksys, then go into setups and disable DHCP and brige mode, and DO not connect the cable into the WAN port, use one of the normal ports.

This setup will now turn the linksys into a switch with wireless that when you connect a device to it, it will get the IP from your main router.

I set these up all the time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have tried the extenders, but the signal is not strong enough to reach it.

That IP address showed up after changing it to bridge mode, and the router would not let me change it.

@I am confused2: That is very similar to what I tried. The router would pick up a strong signal and connect, but only get .5mbps download speeds.

The Dlink pretty old. I just purchased a much more powerful router, and will try changing the location of the modem/router. I really hope this works.

I'm going from this: Amazon.com: D-Link DI-524 Wireless 54 Mbps High Speed Router (802.11g): Electronics

To this: AC 1200 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Router | Routers | Wireless | Networking | Products | Belkin USA Site

Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom