Headphones Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

truebe

In Runtime
Would the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 be a good headphone for mostly gaming and listening to music?

Should I get a seperate amp for them? If so, which amp?

My budget is around $100 and I want a good headphone to be able to experience more when I game and listen to music, a recent topic made me try to do some research but it is all still very confusing to me.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

What's your soundcard? The best cost - value headphones is without a doubt the Sennheiser HD580. That's what attracted me to them. I got mine used for $120 off of the buy/sell forum at www.head-fi.org.

The HD580's can be driven quite well straight off of the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. However, headphones with higher impedances sound MUCH better driven off of an amp. I'm driving mine off of a Headroom Total Bithead amp right now, and it evened out the lows and tightened the lower-mids and mids.

I highly suggest buying used off of those forums - the users there take real good care of their equipment, and you don't have to worry about the burn-in time with new headphones (usually you put new headphones on a table and play music through them for ~200 hours in order to set the drivers into their final position).

I've heard good things about the ATH-A700, and almost bought a pair myself, but the HD580 was right-on for my budget and sound. The HD580 is an "open" headphone, meaning sound is not limited to your head - it escapes very easily and open headphones aren't very good for the purpose of not letting anybody else hear (although the 580's don't leak that much).

Closed headphones, such as the ATH-A700, are great for blocking out sound from other people in the room, but in my experience SOUND closed. The open headphones sound very open and free, and in my experience listening with closed cans can be fatiguing. However, I don't have too much experience outside of my HD580's and my previous headphones, which have all been open, and the few that I've tried out for short periods of time.

If you're thinking about dropping some cash on new headphones and still aren't sure, check out the forums I linked you to. They'll likely suggest the HD580's as a budget/starter audiophile headphone, as they did with me.

Wireless signals DEGRADE the signal.

If you're going to spend money on headphones, I highly recommend a WIRED headphone. The HD580 is audiophile quality, and has a very balanced soundstage. They cost less than the wireless cans NvidiaDude suggested, they don't degrade the signal with wireless crap.

I had a pair of Panasonic wireless Dolby Surround headphones, within two days I sold them off to someone for $300, because for $400 headphones, they sounded like horseshit. My $50 Sennheiser HD515's had a better soundstage than those POS IR headphones.... The surround sound features are fake, the quality varies with the distance from the transmitter, you have to worry about batteries, and any method used to make them wireless compresses the signal and causes lossy audio no matter what the source file is. My portable Bluetooth 2.0 headphones have audible loss in them, even.

For $120 used, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better headphone, and it can be easily driven by the Audigy. I recommend an amp, but I listened on them for over 3 months with no amp, with no qualms about the quality, balance, soundstage, or tone.

I appreciate all the info that you have given me Eagle and will really look into the HD580.

Nvidia, I'm not looking for a wireless headphone, more of a audiophile headphone.

Once again thanks for everything and could you suggest an amp? Sorry for asking a lot of questions.

I highly recommend the Sennheiser PC160's, but you may be able to squeeze something a little more expensive into your Budget. You pretty much cant go wrong with Sennheisers.

Well, how good are you with a soldering iron?

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/
build yourself a CMOY amp for $20. You can run it on battery power too, so you can even use it with your portable player.

I'm currently running a Headroom Total Bithead amp - it's nice, for sure, but I'm glad I got it for free, 'cause it's not worth the $200 list.

Check head-fi's buy/sell forum for people selling their amps, too!

Unfortunately, I've never soldered...it says most commercial amps are $100...Is it worth that price tag, is the sound a big difference with an amp?

Thanks

Honsetly, you can get by with the HD580 and most other cans using the Audigy 2 - they certaintly have enough power to drive big cans like the 580. However, a headphone amp will certaintly improve the tonal characteristics of your headphones.

While a headphone amp isn't CRUCIAL in most cases, it certaintly helps. Like I said, I used my 580's for three months without a headphone amp. What's your sound card?

Okay, thanks. So i can assume the X-fi Plat shouldn't have any problems. Haha.

I'm thinking of going for the HD580s and then getting an amp later on when i have the extra cash.

Is the PA2V2 a good amp? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom