Hard Drive power? problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenx

Beta member
Ok, I've had an occasional problem for a month or so.. where the hard drive sounds like it powers down for a second and come back up... causing the computer to freeze. It happened today, and when I rebooted the computer it couldnt find the hard drive.. and it wouldnt stop powering down the drive.

I turned off the computer for about 20 seconds.. and it started acting up when I turned it on. After I left it off for a couple minutes it started acting fine.

The drive is a western digital 120gb eide.. about 2 years old. Their site isnt responding.. so I cant give a model number atm. Its been active nearly 24/7 for the life of the drive.

I'm trying to determine if this is a problem w/ the PSU or with the drive. I havent noticed power problems with anything else.. but my vid card occassionaly gets stuck in an infinite loop.

In any event.. I'm a little scatter brained right now. I'm sure I missed something, so feel free to ask.

Allon

Try test your 12v rail on the psu use the yellow and black wires stick a multimeter in a molex while your system is on to test it

also test your 5v line the same way (black and red) watch the voltages when your hard drive stops.

Thanks for the reply..

I dont have access to a multimeter.. not to mention it could be days until the drive acts up again... but it IS something thats been happening more frequently the last couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom