Friend buying PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either lol.. so many different revisions.

That was a nice site to use when I had to figure out which laser I needed when I had to replace my PS3 laser (I should post pics of when I did lol... was kind of an interesting process).

As for backward compatiblity, yet again not quite. There are 80GB models that came with PS2 compatiblity. Here and Here are examples of reviews written by people who talk about it as well. They show that the 80GB model does have PS2 capabilities, but it is not fully backward compatible meaning that you have about a 50/50 chance your game will work.

That first review is hardly relevant anymore as it just bashes the ps3's lack of exclusives, which is quite opposite of the truth nowadays. The second is no longer representative anymore, as with patches, functionality of the 80GB with ps2 games is over 90% (I have that 80 GB).

That first review is hardly relevant anymore as it just bashes the ps3's lack of exclusives, which is quite opposite of the truth nowadays. The second is no longer representative anymore, as with patches, functionality of the 80GB with ps2 games is over 90% (I have that 80 GB).

If you read the whole topic, you would see that it is relevant for the fact it shows that the 80GB model has PS2 compatibility when the post above mine specifically states that only the 60GB model has that ability. So thank you for proving my point even further, but those are relevant for the point I was making.

Had a ps3 for almost a year now, very awesome machine. Great quality of games, especially sony exclusives that are the best looking games out there like uncharted 1 2, god of war 3 and many more. Free online gameplay unlike the xbox 360. The ps3 plays blu ray disk that have a minimum of 25Gb capacity and go up to 4 layers. U can play blu ray movies on them in 1080p. If the movie isnt hd, the ps3 will upscale it and it will look much better than compared to a normal dvd. Your can stream media to ur ps3 via pc. To sum it all up,the ps3 is an epic machine.

These newer models suck it appears, fewer ports, no flash reader, no ps2 support...

Less chance of getting a YLOD though than the older ones. And the lasers are less likely to go back than the older models as well.

Only reason I had to replace my laser was because of a power outage that occurred while I was playing it and messed up the BR laser.

Yeah the models with backwards compatibility had the ylod a lot. My old 60 gig got it. But after Lot of research the ylod is due to the backwards compatibility chip overheating and coming Loose from the motherboard.

One limitation I can think of off hand is no cross-game chat. The other one that should be noted is it occasionally has problems streaming video from your PC, depending on what kind of video file it is. The easy fix for that is to download TVersity (it's free).

As for the compatibility, I can also confirm my 80 GB PS3 (Metal Gear Solid Bundle) is backwards compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom