Fried GPU?

M16

In Runtime
Hello everybody! It's been awhile.

So as I was playing GTA V the other day my computer decided to turn off, restart for a second, then turn off again. When I tried to turn it on again the same thing happened.
After messing around with it for a little bit I was able to get to the BIOS. When I restart, after the gigabyte splash screen the monitor goes light black. I can hear a loud electronic sound coming from the GPU. The power supply is about 4-5 years old with heavy use so I'm sure its shot. My question is, in your opinion, what's going on with the graphics card? Is there anything I can do or am I out $360? It doesn't seem to be shot because it does work in UEFI/BIOS. But it does seem shot because it malfunctions with when it tries to load the OS. lol

I have tried a known good graphics card (with a known working PSU of course (Be Quiet! 500w) and it loads up just fine. I'm even using it to write this.
Also, I have used a power supply tester the PSU. It said it was working fine. I'm guessing it because it wasn't powering a GTX 970. I even removed the 970 and used the integrated graphics, which worked fine.
I forgot to mention I also plugged in the known good PSU to the 970 and it continued to malfunction.

I have attached a couple of videos. You can hear the electronic sound at about 12sec on the Weird Noise.mp4 video. You see what the computer does when it starts in the Sys.mp4 video.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Sys specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
Processor: Intel Core i5-4570
Memory: Corsair DDR3 16Gig
PSU: Corsair TX750w
GPU: EVGA 970 FTW

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom