Floppy drive question.

You can get 3.5" USB floppy drives but I don't see 5.25" USB floppy drives.

You can get PCI floppy controller cards but as far as I could see, only for 3.5" drives.

You can get 3.5" USB floppy drives but I don't see 5.25" USB floppy drives.

You can get PCI floppy controller cards but as far as I could see, only for 3.5" drives.
If those controllers have the standard floppy connector then a 5 1/4" should plug right up unless the hardware itself only supports 3 1/2"

My thought was that there was a USB 3 1/2" floppy that is like some USB CD ROM drives were which had a standard computer drive with a board that plugs into it to convert it to USB. If there's something like that maybe I could plug in the 5 1/4" drive and see if it works.

I have the older style 5 1/4" 1.2MB drive that has a card edge connector, but I have a cable that has two of those and two standard connectors like 3 1/2" drives use.

I did find this.

https://www.amazon.com/IYSHOUGONG-1-44MB-Floppy-Connector-Adapter/dp/B07QYYF36N/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=5+1/4+floppy+drive&qid=1610946035&sr=8-5

Won't plug into my drive, but if I can get the pinout I can make it work provided it supports the drive itself

This is the drive I have. Had it in my XP computer for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/FD-55GFR-142...rds=5+1/4+floppy+drive&qid=1610946035&sr=8-34

Last edited:
I might just get that one if I cannot find one that can write as well.

Why do I need to write?

I don't. Just want full functionality, but its most likely not possible for a reasonable cost and I dont want to spend a lot of money.

Now I'd need to find a case to put it in.

I suppose one of the cases from a USB CD ROM or USB DVD drive would work. For the 3 1/2" disks I have I may get a USB floppy drive unless it would be better far as reliability is concerned to get a USB 3 1/2" floppy controller and a quality older drive.

I have the necessary power plugs for both drives.

Maybe I could find an external drive enclosure with two bays and install the drives in there.

They do have an enclosure for 50 something dollars, but im sure I can find something used for much less that will hold two drives.

A 5 1/4" drive is handy to have as several years ago when my XP computer was working one of the staff at the church I go to found a 5 1/4" disk containing some info that was old but wanted to be kept. I was the only one at the church that had a working drive for the disk.

Plus if I ever go to a flea market and find 5 1/4" disks with old games on them I'll be able to transfer them to my pc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom