Fitting big Typhoon to MSI Neo4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is anyone on the forums who has fitted a thermaltake big Typhoon to an MSI K8N Neo4 (Platinum), and whether it was easy or not?

I ask this because there are issues with some mobos, and also it is difficult in general.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie -

I have a MSI K8N Neo4-F, a similar board to yours, and the backplate on it was very well glued on. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon needs its own backplate for proper installation, so you will have to remove the backplate on your motherboard. This will probably require a hair dryer and a good bit of prying. I had to do this to install my Zalman 7000; it definetly wasn't a fun experience.

Once you get the backplate off, it should be smooth sailing from there. Make sure you throughly clean all of the thermal compound off your CPU and reapply some before putting on the HSF if you decide to purchase it.

That sounds like a lot of effort unfortuanately.

Are there any good HSFs, that just click on like the stock one? do you think I should try and buy one of the new AMD heatpipe ones of eBay or something?

Charlie -

I might just buy one of the new stock ones, because they are apparantly very good. Its just that at 1.15V my 4200+ is idling at 42-45 and is at over 55 when gaming. So I need a better cooler. I may have not put the stock one on that well, but I don't understand how it can be that high, so I was considering a new one.

Thanks for the advice,

Charlie -

My stock AMD 64 HSF works very well. Have you tried using some AS5 thermal paste?

I might just buy one of the new stock ones, because they are apparantly very good. Its just that at 1.15V my 4200+ is idling at 42-45 and is at over 55 when gaming. So I need a better cooler. I may have not put the stock one on that well, but I don't understand how it can be that high, so I was considering a new one.

hey "no pain no gain". the effort is worth the benefits. the new stock cooler is good but i wouldn't say it is a worthwhile upgrade. i guess 1.15v has to be a typo because i can't see why your cpu would idle at above average max temp with far below stock voltage.

Yeah, but it easily idles at that....!

Maybe I have fitted it wrongly...?!

Charlie -

PS: attatched is a screeny of speed fan, for some reason my Vcore is up to 1.2, but still these temps can't be right. PS, the CPU is Temp2.

Charlie -

177803971_2ddc76dc52_o.jpg

nitestick said:
haven't installed one on this board personally but this is what i heard. doesn't seem like it is really as hard as it is time consuming. 9/10 "decent" HSF's would require removing the backplate so you may as well dive in.

It was hard for me because I was scared I would mess up something if I got it too hot, so I compensated with a lot of prying. The heat plus pressure ended up making my fingertips hurt pretty badly once that was over. I probably should've heated it up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom