External antenna for notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
My daughter's lappy works great, but it sometimes drops signal. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, so I know I have good signal.

I'm looking for an external antenna for her lappy, but I can't find what I want. I need just an antenna. Not a bulky something, but one that can just pop into one of the USB ports or the i.LINK port to give the onboard antenna some help. I don't need a wireless adapter.

The only antennas I can find screw into something. Her antenna is internal.

So, anyone know of something like that?

I don't think something like that exist, the antenna would have to be part of the wireless card in order for it to work. There are USB wireless adaptor that plugs into a USB port and provide wireless connection just like a regular wireless card. But an extenstion antenna that plugs into a USB or firewire port is not likely to happen.

I'll look into those antenna, havok.

Could the positioning of my router be messing with the signal? My wife has it sitting on top of her computer inside of a cabinet (doors open, of course). Would its proximity to the computer mess with the signal, or the cabinet? I had thought about moving it to the top of the cabinet next to the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom