erm...big CPU installation problem!

To me, it seems like you hav't have applied the thermal paste. If you have the thermal pad, take it out. It suffocates the CPU. Get thermal paste.

lhuser said:
To me, it seems like you hav't have applied the thermal paste. If you have the thermal pad, take it out. It suffocates the CPU. Get thermal paste.
I agree with thermal paste. Artic Silver 5 is the paste of choice.
However the temps sound more like he didn't remove the protective tape off the thermal pad before installing the heatsink.
If you didn't, it's too late now. Remove the heatsink and clean it real good. Apply a dot of AS5 on the cpu and spread it to cover the entire surface. Reinstall the heatsink and let the system idle for a while before you put the spurs to her.

Yeah. and don't do what I did, and spread the whole lot of the paste on there :p...

Thanks for the answers....first off...is thermal paste fairly ewasy to come across, and secondly, running at 40c, it wouldnt be damaging it, so can i use it until i get thermal paste?

Matt

dedb33t said:
Meh. Bios temprature things suck. If my computer is off for a whole day, I turn it on and instantly go to BIos to check temprature.. Its always on 50c... :S

Do you know how fast a processor heats up?!?!?!? running a cpu with no fan can be damaging after as little as 10 seconds...

40C is within the temp zone for C2D, it is not excessively hot, these chips run warmish, it will not hurt the cpu.

The 82C result you got was from incorrect contact between the cpu and heatsink as you found out by "fiddling" with it. The part that concerns me is you state the pad looks alright, implying you have removed and replaced the heatsink without reapplying the thermal compound. Not good.

You'll be alright at those temps if they continue at that level when the cpu is under load (But I doubt this will be the case)

You should, as already stated, replace the compound with (preferably, AS5.) though any other 99.9% silver thermal compound will work just as well.

Be sure to check out the new instructions regarding AS5 (and other compounds) with regard to dual core chips, the "grain of rice blob" method is not recommended for dual cores, instead a "thin line" is now the go (see link)

LINK

Back
Top Bottom