DVDRW won't recognize disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO712

Solid State Member
I believe I have this nailed down to being software (driver/windows) related.
I have a situation on my hands. I can't get my DVDRW to recognize a disc.
My current computer setup is
Core 2 Extreme QX6700
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
4-2 GB G.Skill DDR2 800
2- XFX 8800 GTS (320 MB)
WD Raptor X Sata
Seagate 250 GB Sata
WD 400 GB Sata
LITE-ON DH-4O1S-66 Blue Ray Sata
LG GH22LS30 Burner Sata
No raid installed
Bios Up to date P33

Amongst other things that I don't deem relevant. (But if the are I will answer whatever questions about them.)

I did a fresh clean install of Vista x64 after installing the 2 sata optical drives. Installed from the Blue Ray drive onto the raptor HD I upgraded to SP1 and installed all other updates from windows update (with the exception of any NVIDIA things. I installed the drivers for the video cards. Then I installed the Nvidia SMU and SMBus drivers from the chipset drivers. I was able to back up a dvd using the LG drive. A second one I tried it would not read the disc at all. The blue ray drive still reads discs fine. The LG drive doesn't even recognize a blank to write to. I've searched numerous hours already about this and can't find any info to help. I have now tried different Nvidia drivers for the controllers bouncing them to and from IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and Storage Controllers in device manager. I know the LG drive does work because it worked fine in a Dell XPS 720 running Vista SP1 x86. (Which had the XPS 710 to XPS 720 motherboard upgrade sometime ago) I've swapped cables and ports for the optical drives. The blue ray always works and the LG never recognizes a disc no matter what. If anyone could share some insight and help me out here I would be greatly appreciative. I've also read about the Sata problems in Vista. The Sata Problems with Nvidia. I'll never get another nvidia chipset for sure.

Is there a firmware update for the drive in question?

It has the latest firmware, tried using Media Code Speed Edit with two different adjustments neither worked. Went back to the firmware that was on it, and it worked with that in the XPS

It could be cause you are running 64 Bit then. You say it worked in the XPS but that is 32 Bit. So maybe it is having a hard time with the 64 Bit structure.

So I did some brief research about 64 bit and Sata opticals. Haven't came across anything yet that was helpful. It'll be something to research down the road. The spec sheet from LG does say that it is supported in Vista x86 and x64. But I did install a Samsung SH-S203b and that worked right away and was able to burn with it. So I'm currently :happy:. Thanks for putting another idea to search about Mak. Optical drives seem to be my kryptonite when it comes to computers so hopefully this one will last for a bit.

joeten-thanks for that link i'll keep it it mind for any other hardware although the drive is on the list as certified for vista x86 and x64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom