Downgrading a laptop from Windows 8 to 7

This person I believe already has a Windows 7 license IIRC.

Lock screen
M$ Account integration
Networking
Shell UI
Task Manager
Personalization settings
Account/File security
Defaulted full screen apps
Lock Screen
Internet Explorer (yea people use it, it's different)
Program compatibility (I've only had very small issues, but I don't use all the software out there)
Driver compatibility (same as software but it is an issue)

Just to name a few thing general users might have a problem with. Not to mention to a new user who just fires up a new machine with Windows 8 they have to spend a lot of time navigating new territory just to download a start menu program IF they even knew it existed. To most they don't even know you can do that (literal phrase usually "****, seriously? You can do that?"). This can be highly irritating to somebody who is used to a Vista or 7 machine. Seriously you work IT, you should be a bit more attuned to how computer "stupid" people work. There are people out there who think clicking more makes it load quicker. Any and every little thing that may be a nuisance outside of Metro (key phrase there) will **** somebody off which may or may not be any issue to either of us. But I mean you're still disregarding the fact that I still have people bringing me their machines to be switched back to 7 even AFTER I've put Startisback on it. I'm not rude so I'm not going to ask. I just do what's asked of me and take their money lol.

:/ sure thing carnage, only stating the obvious here.

As am I, because $0 < $100.

I already knew the guy had windows 8, your assuming I don't know that.

No I'm assuming you're not reading the thread, and either misinterpreting or twisting my posts.

Just telling all users including you the downgrade process isn't that hard.

I'm aware it's not hard. I'm just saying it's going to cost money to downgrade to Win7 vs upgrading to Win8.1 to see if OP likes it or not is free.

You said it would cost more to downgrade in your post ? yes or no ?

Yes, I did say that it would cost more to downgrade, because OP already has Win8. So it would cost more (at least $100 more to be exact) to buy a Win7 from somewhere like Newegg. Not sure why you're posting links to Win8, and talking about buying a Win8 license, because that's not at all what I'm talking about.

This person I believe already has a Windows 7 license IIRC.

I think they just said they wanted to know if they could downgrade to Win7 - I suppose tho if they're in school, they may have access to a free Win7 license.

Lock screen - Got me on this one. I'm used to having to Ctrl+Alt+Del at work though, so pressing spacebar and then my password isn't a pain to me. Although I like my Skyrim lockscreen lol.

M$ Account integration - optional, you can use a local account (just not as straight forward on setup, I'll give you that)

Networking - I didn't really see much difference here; I don't use homegroups or any of that BS though, since I setup my shares manually to how I like them, so can't say either way on this one.

Shell UI - Talked about this already - yeah some people don't like Metro/Modern UI, some don't mind it.

Task Manager - Sorry, but Task manager in Win8 is WAY better than Win7. Not sure how you can deny this one.

Personalization settings - Seemed like they were exactly the same in Win8 as Win7 to me - Right click Desktop -> Personalization. Just didn't have classic theme like Win7 did... but not an issue for most people.

Account/File security - Not sure what the issue here is... mind giving more detail?

Defaulted full screen apps - I don't use Metro apps, and they can pretty much all be avoided if you don't want to use them. 8.1 Fixed this somewhat though by allowing snapping/resizing of metro apps.

Lock Screen - lol, listed twice.. apparently the lockscreen is that much of a pain?

Internet Explorer (yea people use it, it's different) - The app or desktop app? Desktop app is the same as in Win7... IE11. Most people nowadays know about other browsers though too.

Program compatibility (I've only had very small issues, but I don't use all the software out there) - Haven't encountered anything really here either with any software I use (lots of dev tools and such)

Driver compatibility (same as software but it is an issue) - like I said earlier, not really up to the OS - that's a driver manufacturer issue.

Comments next to each item.

Seriously you work IT, you should be a bit more attuned to how computer "stupid" people work. There are people out there who think clicking more makes it load quicker. Any and every little thing that may be a nuisance outside of Metro (key phrase there) will **** somebody off which may or may not be any issue to either of us.
Oh I know lol.. believe me. Honestly I'm glad I'm out of IT now though... I was getting burned out by it - so far I don't mind development.

But I mean you're still disregarding the fact that I still have people bringing me their machines to be switched back to 7 even AFTER I've put Startisback on it. I'm not rude so I'm not going to ask. I just do what's asked of me and take their money lol.

Lol, I'm not blaming you for doing it - I totally would too to make extra cash on the side. As I was saying before, yes people hate change. But most people have fairly lame excuses and are just too lazy to learn something new.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I would at least try Win8.1 before you go out and buy a Win7 license. If you don't like it, boom, go back to the original plan. No harm, no foul.

No I'm assuming you're not reading the thread, and either misinterpreting or twisting my posts.

Thats the best lie I have heard since being here since 2005. -_-
To me it sounds like your not listening all the way through.
Yes carnage I am reading what you post up, if it doesn't agree with me or doesn't seem right or legit, I'm gonna speak out.

Thats the best lie I have heard since being here since 2005. -_-
To me it sounds like your not listening all the way through.
Yes carnage I am reading what you post up, if it doesn't agree with me or doesn't seem right or legit, I'm gonna speak out.

As do I ;).

But what I'm posting is correct in the context I'm posting.

Well, this opened a can of worms.

I have two main problems with Windows 8, the main one being having to pay $120 a year for Ofiice, whereas a ~$100 Windows 7 OS would have it for free, forever. The other problem is that there seems to be very few new features in terms of customization and options; the control panel, file management and desktop feels pretty much identical to Windows 7. To me, the only difference I can tell between the two is that 7 had a start button and 8 comes loaded with an unneccesary start screen, about 340GB of junk you never asked for, and treats you like a moron.

Well, this opened a can of worms.

I have two main problems with Windows 8, the main one being having to pay $120 a year for Ofiice, whereas a ~$100 Windows 7 OS would have it for free, forever. The other problem is that there seems to be very few new features in terms of customization and options; the control panel, file management and desktop feels pretty much identical to Windows 7. To me, the only difference I can tell between the two is that 7 had a start button and 8 comes loaded with an unneccesary start screen, about 340GB of junk you never asked for, and treats you like a moron.

What? Just get an Office Suite like every other Windows platform. I have Office 2013 and it's not a yearly subscription... That's only if you buy into Office 365, not the suite. No version of Windows came with any Office product, unless it was a 30 day trial. Or unless you count Wordpad / Notepad.

That or just get a free, open source office suite such as Libre Office.

As for the other issues, it doesn't look like much was changed, but like I said before, most of the tweaks were "under the hood."

BaconSanwich said:
I have two main problems with Windows 8, the main one being having to pay $120 a year for Ofiice, whereas a ~$100 Windows 7 OS would have it for free, forever.
carnageX said:
No version of Windows came with any Office product, unless it was a 30 day trial.
Well, I'm glad we caught that before you went that route. Also, I'm pretty sure the 2013 Home and Student version is $120 (and that's it).
BaconSanwich said:
and 8 comes loaded with an unneccesary start screen, about 340GB of junk you never asked for
All of that is pre-loaded bloatware and trialware (except the start screen itself) put on by the laptop's manufacturer (in your case, it's ASUS). It's not Windows itself.

Last edited:
I stated before, I've used EX7forW8 and that actually puts the Windows 7 gui into Windows 8. It requires a Windows 7 disk to get the gui from. Worked well for me and it's one of those free apps. Works in 8.1 too
You can still get an Office 2010 H&S key card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom