does pinging a device indicate if a firewall is present on the device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

I have got a wireless media player(Philips SLM5500), i wanted to find out if it had a built in firewall. i tried piniging it and all the packets returned.

Is the ping done at layer 2?

does a perfect response to a ping mean that a firewall is not present on the media player
is there any way to ping a device and find out which ports are blocked?

thanks for the reply and for the link to the philips streamium, that is where i read it has a firewall. it is not mentioned in the user manual or how to configure it.

how do i use nmap, do i instal that on a pc and then use that to find out the open ports?

Hello

i tried to install nmap, but whilst installing it i got the message

"skipping WinPcap installation since version 3.0.0.19 already exists on this system. Uninstall that version first if you wish to force install."

i read the instructions for the installation of nmap, and the instructions state that versions 3.9 and later require winpcap 3.1 or later.

i downloaded winpcap 4.0 from the winpcap site, however now when i try to install winpcap i get the message

"skipping WinPcap installation since version 755 already exists on this system. Uninstall that version first if you wish to force install."

actually in the directory C:\program files\nmap i can see nmap application, when i click on that i get the command shell for 1/2 second and that then goes away. is the nmap installed?
is there some other way i need to use nmap?

I believe ping test up to layer 3 if you are referring to the OSI model.

You should run it in command prompt. Change to the directory where it is installed

Simple command to run it is nmap ip adddress

nmap 192.168.1.100

thanks for the reply,

i am running nmap in the command prompt

what do you meab by ping test up to layer 3,

can you run ping in ping 2 and ping 1 too?

thanks for the reply,

i am running nmap in the command prompt

what do you meab by ping test up to layer 3,

can you run ping in ping 2 and ping 1 too?

Are you referring to Layer 2(Data Link) and Layer 1(Physical) of the OSI model? I'm confused by what you mean as well. Ping(ICMP) operates at Layer 3(Network). Layer 3 deals with IP addresses, which is required to ping a device.

Successful ping requests doesn't mean that a firewall is not present. Some firewalls block ping requests, some don't.

nmap xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should work fine as they said.

thanks for the reply,

what i meant is can you run ping in layer 2 and layer 1 of the OSI stack?

thanks for the reply,

what i meant is can you run ping in layer 2 and layer 1 of the OSI stack?

Yes and No. You can't use ping to test layer 2 and layer 1 but you use it to test layer 3. In order for layer 3 to function, layer 2 and 1 must also function correctly. So in theory you are testing layer 1,2 and 3 when you ping, but you can't do "ping 00-23-a2-35-3d-3c" and try to test a layer 2 problem like that. Because ping uses ICMP that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom