Disk Encryption for Windows servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwallace612

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Can you recommended some good whole disk encryption products for windows 2003/2008 servers?

I have tried PGP whole disk encryption and it is a disaster.

Thanks!

Did you try ESP? It's native to 2008 and can be activated VIA group policy so end users don't have to do a thing.

we use PGP and bcrypt mostly and have had success with both.

our only problem was always iwth PGP secured mail, and stupid people on the end of the line, giving out the wrong keys etc

Hi Lexluethar:
Is this what you are refferring to? ESP: Encapsulating Security Payload ESP, Encapsulating Security Payload

If so, that is not what we are looking for, I apologize.

Basically we need the hard drives (which are Hardware Raid), to be fully encrypted, the whole entire disk.

Thanks

So do you want them all encrypted in one go or do you want each drive encrypted on it's own? The second option is safer but slower. If you go with option 2 Truecrypt is a good quality encryption program which can encrypt a system drive, USB or external drive and can also make normal files safer by putting them in an encrypted volume. It's free and I am going to write a tutorial on how to use it. So please feel free to PM me about it. This is their website: TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Sorry fat finger - EFS, Encrypted File System. It's something you can enable through group policy on window server 2008.

You could also use symantec endpoint encryption but that really slows down the PC in my experience.

Hi luke127 ,

We currently use truecrypt, but there are two issues with it.. 1- it doesn't allow the use of VSS snapshots and online file backup. and 2- my boss wants a product that has support.

We would like each disk encrypted in its own container.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Lexluethar:
Is this what you are refferring to? ESP: Encapsulating Security Payload ESP, Encapsulating Security Payload

If so, that is not what we are looking for, I apologize.

Basically we need the hard drives (which are Hardware Raid), to be fully encrypted, the whole entire disk.

Thanks

First a disclaimer. I work for Symantec and was part of the PGP acquisition by Symantec.

Can you tell me why you wish to encrypt the HDs on the server? The reason I'm asking is that perhaps there is a better solution to the problem you're trying to solve.

For example, if this is a fileshare and you wish to protect the shares, you can do that with PGP NetShare instead. This is a much better solution then encrypting the HDs in the RAID. Another great thing about NetShare is that the backups would all be encrypted as well. So even the backups are safe!

Anyhow, let's see what problem you're trying to solve, and hopefully we can all make a suggestion to help you.

Regards,
-kelvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom