Desperate help with VPN/Linksys RV016/Remote Desktop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imburr

Solid State Member
I have recently set up a sbs 2003 server at a new company workplace. I am seeking to remotely administer the server (Or connect through VPN), yet the intricacies of connecting thought the router elude me. If someone might provide step by step instructions on both router and server side, the company and I would be quite grateful.

SBS 2003, with one NIC. This is set with a static IP from Comcast.com (70.89.xxx.xx)

The SERVER handles DHCP and the router is not enabled to handle it. The SERVER is not firewalled, while the router is protected by an SPI Firewall. It has options to enable IPSec, PPTPoE, and one more (I have no idea about any of these). Specs here: Linksys RV016 10/100 16-Port VPN Router | LinksysWorks.com

ISS is up and running, and Remote Access wizard has been ran and completed. The server has been enabled for remote assistance as well as remote access to the best of my knowledge.

Linksys 16 port VPN router RV016

I am looking for Laptops to be able to connect to the VPN and access the SQL database, as well as allow me to admin the server from home. My home PC's are running Vista Home (I know this is not supported but still possible), and the laptops that need access are a combination of XP and Vista.

I have tried everything to get it set up- from Linksys's Quick VPN Client, to manual remote desktop connection, to TightVNC. If it is necissary it would be alright to require the mobile users to come into the office to set up the VPN Client side, or to have them install a program to allow acces- it just needs to get done. I have downloaded all the manuals, and consulted the how to guides and help files all over the internet, and I still got nothing.

1510Willow.jpg

The Network Diagram and perhaps the source of the problem. I could not get the wireless router to work inside of the network with the server acting as DHCP, so I have it hard linked to both the VPN router and the modem itself. Laptops in the office have internet signal, and can see the domain but are not visible as a part of the domaion network without manually adding them. The laptops inside are not required inside of the domain as they are running Vista home edition OS's.

The other day when I was on the companies Wireless I established both the company web, allowing me acces to the server, as well as remote desktop, allowing me to administer the server. I saved all of the connections/pages and went home- and then could not connect.

ANY help on configuring the Administration/VPN/Tunnels for the VPN would be excellent. I need to come up with a step by step instruction sheet for the company to allow out of state users to access the VPN. Also, ANY help with the server/client setting would be excellet. I have been searching the web for 4 days now, and this is my 9th post on various forums seeking an answer. I am willing to get on the phone or open a YIM IRC chat session. I am also willing to allow for a GoMeeting session or allow someone with the proper refrences and credentials to access the server and configure the VPN with/for me. Thank you in advance!

On a side note, though not as important... I have implimented roaming profiles for network users, and all seems to be going well- except for one user. Every time she logs off, the sync tries to offline file sync another users documents, causing 1000 sync errors and a delayed shutdown. I have gone to the other users folders and denied access to everyone but him, and turned off her profile keeping offline files and still the error.

Have you configured the router at all to support the VPN? You'll need to console into the router and setup the appropriate interfaces. I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact commands off the top of my head, I also don't have enough info on your network to do that. If you don't know how to configure the router yourself then you're going to need to call someone in.

If you've already got the vpn setup on the server then that's all that's stopping you, once the router is properly configured then you shouldn't have any problems.

Of course I have TRIED to configure the router, to no avail. There is a VPN Tunnel page, VPN Tunnel Group page, and a VPN User page, for use with the quick VPN. I have restored the firewall to default and set up the Linksys Quick VPN and I still can not connect- which by all the manuals should work. It might be something about the router changing the static IP address through nameservice to 10.xx.xx.xx... I am not sure. I can call anyone in, this is my baby. What else do you need to know about my network to help me with the configuration?

To setup the VPN on the 2003 server you need to go into Administrative Tools and choose 'Routing and Remote Access'. Then in the action menu choose the enable option, and set it up from there.

To setup the VPN on the router you'll need to configure it to pass PPTP traffic, which is on port 1723. You'll also need to map the outside ip address to an ip on the inside of your network. Your router is a Linksys, which is a division of cisco. Not sure if they use the same commands though, but here's the cisco ones anyway.

access-list 120 permit tcp any host your.internet.ip.address eq 1723
access-list 120 permit gre any host your.internet.ip.address

basically what that does is tells the router to allow traffic on tcp port 1723 and allows the gre protocol as well.
If you're using IPSec though you'll need to open udp port 500 instead of tcp port 1723
Then all you need to do is apply the access list to all incoming connections on the routers interface:

ip access-group 120 in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom