Deleted email in outlook missing

smurph

In Runtime
My father using Outlook 2007 and Win Vista, has after what he believes was a Vista update, now losing his deleted emails within outlook. He has an IMAP gmail account, which has been working ok up until 29 Nov.
Any ideas?

So his deleted emails are being deleted? Sounds like it's working to me... lol.

No, using POP3 mail outlook used to keep them in a deleted folder, then with IMAP gmail they went into a folder called Bin or trash (can't remember), now they don't go there....

tell your dad not to delete his email if he wants to keep it
I think windows will auto-delete the deleted folder if it gets too large, or at a certain interval of time

tell your dad not to delete his email if he wants to keep it
I think windows will auto-delete the deleted folder if it gets too large, or at a certain interval of time

my lines of thinking exactly. Normally you click delete if you want to delete it.
If you want to keep it for future references, consider archiving it or something along those lines.

Thanks for the last two commentors, but when most are brought up with outlook over 15+ years saving deleted files in the deleted folder, and that they can be resurrected if necessary, its nice to maintain that facility.

So are they being deleted on the GMail end, or just on the Outlook client end?

Could try: "View > Arrange By > Current View > Hide Messages Marked For Deletion" and see if that option is enabled.

Last edited:
Not fully deleted....they are still in Gmails ALL MAIL....which is confusing for my Dad...they used to be in Trash or Bin!

Not trying to confuse this issue, I happily use Outlook 2010 with two gmail IMAP accounts, and they have different named folders for deleted items....my primary has deleted items with the trash icon, and a plain Trash folder, the secondary has only a Trash folder with trash icon. Weird, and nothing i setup, and deleted files go where I want.

Try setting up the account again, and make sure you have all the folders set to sync, including the trash\deleted items.
and make sure that they are set to sync all emails, and not just the last two weeks, month etc.

Set him up a folder to put emails into that he doesn't want, but would like to keep.
As the way he is doing it now is not advisable.

I have to tell a lot of our staff that the recycle bin and trash folder are not a storage area.

Back
Top Bottom